Your Ad Could Be Here

Guitarists! Need Your Opinion

I've dealt w/ guitarists my entire life (i'm 29).

I might have a new guitarist.

(I'm a singer)

I sang to him the latest song I wrote.  My song is in the key of F# a capella, and it's that way the whole way through.

This guitarist plays F# E B A for almost the whole time.  The second and fourth chords of the verse, are both kind of off-chords, not a part of the standard key (2nd chord is an Emaj of some sort and the 4th chord is an Amaj of some sort. neither E nor A is in the F# scale).  I heard it's not an uncommon chord substitution in that kinda structure, often in rock songs and the such I guess. But does it really work if I, the singer, writes the melody first?  Must i change my melody? Guitarist says think of it as F# lydian (or B major) and then it's "in key".  Another guitarist says, "Why would I have to think about it a certain way for it to be in key? Your song is in the key of F# as ionian, and that's a fact. The Bmaj is fine and is in key. It's the E and the A that are NOT in key, and that's also a fact.  If he was writing a song for himself with those chords or y'all were to write one together with those chords, that's a different story, because the melody can jump keys easily. I'm not trying to invalidate his chord progression entirely but for him to put that chord progression together and blatantly neglect the key of the melody you're ALREADY in really grinds my gears."

Here's the song:

Tab,

It sounds like you already know that the guitarist has spoiled your song and that you are looking for validation before speaking up about it.

I entirely agree with you. You need to speak up for yourself and get the song back on course. The A chord flattens the 3rd of the scale (changes A# to A).

I wont at this stage suggest a new chord pattern for you but let your guitarist know how you feel. You definitely should not have to modify your melody.

Rudi

So you all agree the guitarist and I are not on the same page. The guitarist thinks neither of us need to change. But you two agree its not together. If I change my part will that continue for future songs? If I don't is it bad collaboration?

Btw I pay my guitarist.

My 3¢...

Keep an open mind, and kinda loosen up with all the rules 'n' stuff (wherever you try to impose them).

If your "collaboration" begins with disagreement over who should bend... Well, that's probably not a good recipe for a team.

Try to see things in the context of "What is best for the song?" Everyone put aside their egos and try to see a common goal, the music. Same thing goes for music theory; don't fixate on anything. What sounds best? What feels best? Who cares what scale something is in (or even what key it's in)? Does it sound good? Doesn't matter who wrote what when... Whether you wrote it first or not... Whether you pay or get paid...

I think I'm feeling what HoboSage is feeling. I think we both feel the progression stronger than your melody. Maybe you could strengthen your melody by experimenting a while. You seem to be a bit knowledgable about theory; maybe you could use that knowledge to find a stronger melody, hmm? Then again, your guitarist has to be open to try any chords you suggest (whether they make sense in his head or not).

(To quote my marriage counselor... "You wanna be right? Or do you wanna be happy.")

My 3¢...

Edited by Skylark

Usually in any band... its whats best for each song... i would record both versions and see which sounds better.... sometimes its vibe over melody.... and that could depend on lyrics.... also melody means nothing without feeling....

Record em... a and b them.... one should stand out :)

• 2 weeks later...

So you all agree the guitarist and I are not on the same page. The guitarist thinks neither of us need to change. But you two agree its not together. If I change my part will that continue for future songs? If I don't is it bad collaboration?

Btw I pay my guitarist.

Something is waaaaaaaaay off in this song and it sounds like your singing but you could be merely doing what I used to do when I was playing a song. When I was supposed to play a d7th in a song in key of GMaj  and I played a C instead my singing was waaaaaaaaay off as the guitar was not playing the notes i was supposed to sing. So You either need A find a new guitarist who can play your melodies as you write them, or B rewrite your melodies to suit him