Your Ad Could Be Here

How To Sound Like This - Shure Beta 58A

• Noob

Hey guy's,

Let me first start off by saying I am not Music savvi when it comes to mic's and all the recording hardware and software. Basically my sister has a shure beta 58a and she want's to start recording her own songs on to the computer. I thought, being a pc geek, it would be as simple as plugging the mic into the mic port on the pc (once i have it converted from xlr etc). But after much reading I am hearding i should get an external usb sound card (on the laptop pc) and use that (although I dont know why, again I am not music savvi). So i thought I would come on here and ask from some advice from the professionals! I know that i can go ahead and convert the mic to be used in the mic input jack on my laptop but I want to know what the drawbacks of doing that would be. Also, just wondering if any one could help me (once I get the mic setup) to get my sisters voice sounding like this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIHrkqBFUL4&feature=player_detailpage by this i mean the actual effect that is put on the voice its all most like a slight hall way sounding effect but at the same time its piercing and soft, thats the only way i can describe it. I have also heard Quebase is the program to use when it comes to music production.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers, - Anton.

Hey Antonio

Phew lots of questions!

In general your questions mainly relate to quality. Point to note is that the microphone in that video is not a shure sm58a beta.

You can just use your PC mic input, but generally the ADC (analogue to digital converters) on most basic PC sound cards are not that great, and is a big part of the need for better quality audio hardware for your computer. The other reason is that most PC sound cards in off-the-shelf computers are on the motherboard and tend to be more prone to higher noise levels due to a number of reasons. So, a range of sound cards with or without external boxes, or purely external sound boxes are available that improve noise performance including good quality ADCs. Prices range from about $80 - $1,500+ (Read that as £s in the uk as the actual numbers are comparable). Interfaces range from old USB 1 to modern USB, or FireWire. There are other older formats too. I would suggest USB 2 or newer.

I would suggest an entry level system. More expensive does equal more growing room and features, but they usually also involve a larger learning curve.

Most come with a copy of the lite version of cubase, cubasis, or alternatives like cakewalk sonar, so no need to go buying a full version until you know your sis will stick will it, same goes for expensive hardware.

Software VST effects (plug in effects and audio processors) can be bought, but for your immediate needs some will come with it and others are available for free.

A pop blast screen can be easily made from a an old CD or DVD multipack spindle cover and tights. Enough to get you started there.

So that leaves your hardware interface to plug your mic or instruments into. This comes down to your budget.

Can you give me an idea of budget? There are loads of low end to mid end interfaces available, so budget would help narrow it down. Additionally, are there other needs or the interface? Ie do you play a synth keyboard, or your sis? A guitar? Pretty well all will cater for instrument, vocals etc but the better an idea we get or needs and what you may oreads have the better.

Shure Beta 58A is a great mic! the "Hallway" effect you're hearing is reverb, most DAW's will come with some sort of plug-in for it. Check out focusrite or presonus for some budget friendly, entry level interfaces. The presonus will come with a basic version of their Studio One DAW, which is quite easy to use.. not sure about the focusrite, but if you were to go that route check out reaper. http://www.cockos.com/reaper/

• Noob

Hey guy's and thanks for the informative replys, as a noob i really appreciate it, I went out today and got my self a cheap audio interface, only 27 pounds but already there is an amazing difference from recording straight from the mic jack on the motherboard. And that only me using a cheap interface.

The current setup I have is this:

Also should have mentioned before she has her own PA system, its a Bheringer Europort EPA900. Little did i know i could have the mic and keyboard (Yamaha PSRE423) hooked up to the PA on 2 different channels on the pa. So as it stands the the moment the mic and keybaord are on 2 seperate channels and the pa has a tape out (the old aux red and white L+R) I have this outputting to the input of the cheap audio interface which is called Chord AUSB2.

I have learned so much about music in the last hours it is unbelievable! so thanks you very much for the replys. Also what do you guys think of that for a setup? is it ok? with regards to the keyboard, mic, pa and well not so much the audio interface but it does the job.

- Anton.

• 7 months later...