Your Ad Could Be Here

Help The Novice

I posted a question about notation software and got blasted for not thinking.  I learned very quickly that maybe notation software was too much for my needs.  So let me try this a different way.  What equipment do I need to record the basics?  Let's say I'm a 10 year old, I made up my own song (vocals, guitars, piano, drums) and I want my friends to hear it.  What type of equipment would I have?  I said 10 year old so that you would be able to get an idea of the experience level I'm talking about :-0

I'm looking for something a tad more sophisticated than a tape recorder.  I can pick out melodies and harmonies with a single finger on a piano.  I have lyrics and I can sing.  I also have a PC.  I browsed through some on the forums and most information seems very technical.  Any suggestions to point me in the right direction.  Please. Without fussing at me.

Hi Shaye,

I wouldn't go spending any big money just yet.

There is a FREE program you can download called AUDACITY.

This program will allow you to record a multitude of tracks. ie MAIN VOCALS, HARMONY VOCALS, MUSIC etc

It will take a little playing with and it is not as good as what you pay for, but you can learn about what you are doing.You can manipulate each track separately too so you can put a little reverb on your vocals if you wish, but not on your backing track... that sort of thing.

You can get by with a $25 dollar microphone for a while, just make sure it either has a 3.5mm plug for your computer input or you have a converter. If you buy from a computer store, it will be what you need.

You can download a FREE program called CHORDPULSELITE which you can use to program a backing track in up to 16 styles.(Pop, blues, country, rock etc) If you like it you can download the full CHORDPULSE program at a fee for less than $100 which has a lot more styles. It is fairly easy to learn how to use. Even I can do it!

You won't need to learn the piano, guitar, saxophone or ukelele unless you wish to. CHORDPULSELITE will give you a basic backing track which will serve your purpose, I think.

If you want a full recording studio down the track, these basic starter programs will not cut it, but I think you are after something basic, and these are the tools I use.

Cheers,
Kel

Thank you guys!!! This is the type of information that I needed.  As you can see, I am not a 10 year old.  I am a middle - aged woman with a somewhat demanding career and even more demanding kids. My career is obviously waaaaay outside of the world of music.  This is why I'm sticking my neck out on this website.  It's time for me to find my way back to my music.  Again I thank you for your time.

Shaye,

No need for you to be feeling like you are sticking your head out here on this site. I see you felt you had been blasted for thinking you needed notation software. I didn't see any blasts, and I just re-read it. I'm sorry if you feel like you were blasted, but I'd call it enthusiastic encouragement to take a different path. However, I use notation software, for one thing, it plays like it's written, not as badly as I play LOL! :note:

Not everyone here is an expert, nor a professional, however we are all on the same journey, albeit at different points along the path.

No need to stick your neck out, just jump on in, it's the best way to learn to swim, after all.

:luxhello:

Kel

Edited by Kel