Your Ad Could Be Here

What Type Of Group I Need To Select

• Noob

I recently wrote about  8 song by myself. I used sofwae (logic) and created mp3 which uploded to soundcloud. On this forum I read the recomendation of registering my songs as a group and save some money by not doing each song individually.

Now, when I log in to site I select "Register a Group Claim" then  "Collection of Unpublished Works" and on the next page a need to select "Type of Group" which I don't know what to select. My option are:

-Serial Issues (Group)

-Daily Newsletters (Group)

-Daily Nespapers  (Group)

Am I on the right track?

What goup should I select?

Do my songs are considered "Collection of Unpublished Works? the only place where they are available is soundcloud.

I need your advise. Thanks.

• Noob

Thank you tunesmithth   and HoboSage I will givi it a shot Monday since the system seems to bo down late Saturday and Sunday. Thanks for info.

• Noob

I am making progress :)..

so I log in to site then go "Register a New Claim" On the next page I select "YES"  to all 2 our of 3 options (select no only to "I am registering onw work one song, one poem,one photograph,etc.

Are my song hosted on soundcloud considered "Published"?

on the "Certificaiton" section, do I put my name on the "Name of Certifying individial" box?

Also, Do I need to add myself as a "Claimant"?

Sorry about all this questons but I think if better to ask. I tried to add screenshot but was not allowed.

I'm going to take a different tangent and ask why you want to register copyright on your songs?

Are you about to have them published?

Is somebody else about to record them?

Are you performing them live?

Is somebody else claiming them as theirs?

If your answer to all these questions is NO, why register them?

If you have posted them to Soundcloud you have published them to some effect, but usually, published tends to mean transferring them to something tangible that you can hold; typcally (I believe) a CD or sheet music.

If you simply want to establish ownership of them, you probably have enough claim now... they are datestamped on your computer, they are datestamped on Soundcloud to the date you uploaded them. You can post them here too, and there will be a second set of datestamping.

Personally, I don't "register the copyright" on anything. If something is going to get picked up, I'll have it included in the contract.

However, since you can register up to 14 individual songs in a collection, why not wait until you have 14 and then do it?

I know $35 isn't a lot of money, but if you get feedback on your songs already registered, and you decide to change them, you'll need to re-register them again, and maybe again. Do you really need to do it?

Cheers,

Kel