Your Ad Could Be Here

• Editors

Heya everyone,

There is nothing much to showcase in terms of recording quality. I only wanted to share with you a song that I recently wrote and felt very deeply about. This song is about doubt, of me reaching my goals in life ( musical goals in large ).

I've been doing music for quite a while now and it's been hard for me to swallow that I've not progressed much in terms of having good equipment or putting out good recordings or regularly doing gigs. Yes I've had some good moments but I've more or less stayed in the same phase of "getting there". The good news is that I've gained a stronger relationship with songwriting. Every time I sing this song, I feel uneasy. I feel deeply impacted with what it has to say. In a way this uneasiness makes me glad that songwriting allows me to be honest. I've gained one of the biggest gifts in life. I've also begun to take and accept the flaws in my writing more openly and naturally and to allow these mistakes to add to the song in terms of honesty.

I'd like to thank everyone who has motivated me over the years on Songstuff even if just by listening. I've grown much here in this place and you have my gratitude. :)

Once again, please don't mind the quality. Please listen through earphones or loud speakers if possible. *makes puppy face* :)

https://soundcloud.com/maheshmusic/new-plan

Words of infinite minds
surround me
movement has called it a night
but I'm here

Waiting for meaning to 
mean something else and somethin new 
illusions and dreams, they deny what is real

Is it a game that we're playing
or is it a way that you're saying
that I need a new plan

This war I'm in,I've tried all I can 
to fight with
all my weapons of mind
yet I'm here

Losing myself in defeat
turning my every need
into the dream of a night 
that haunts me

that I need a new plan

Oh yes there were times
it seemed like destiny was mine
everything was right, everything was right with my life

that I need a new plan

Do I need a new plan for me
  • Like 1

• Editors

Mahesh,

I planned to hear your song last night, but will try again this evening.

It sounds as if you have articulated your frustration about being in a rut.

Hang in there!

Heya Rudi,

Yeah, it's something like that and more :)

Thanks for replying and for planning to listen.

Cheers

Mahesh

Mahesh,

This could also be called "The Songwriters Lament" for anyone with goals of making it in the music business. Going through the ups and downs of what your doing is a perfectly normal experience. At least I hope it is! I have heard a lot of others describe the same thing and I've also felt that way. It may have something to do with us "artsy" types, whether through music, paint, prose... whatever, there are always those times when you think nothing can stop you, and then the times where you feel there's no way in hell you'll ever get what you want because you just suck... (at least that's what you think in your own mind). You've got at least one awesome video and you also have a CD on itunes. I'd say that's pretty good progress.

Remember, you're not famous until you are. Once someone notices you then it's "game on".

Be prepared... which you are.

Be hard working... which you are. 

Be your best... which you always seem to be. 

It's a hard nut to crack but in my eyes you have what it takes. It's just going to take someone "important" to see that. Keep doing what you're doing and don't stop. The downs always pass.

Then there is the other side of the coin where you/we/us will never make it anywhere in the music business! LOL! So, at the very least, we can deduct it's way more fun being positive and moving forward than being mired in the thought of failure.

Randy

Edited by Just1L

I like the song very much. The music is beautiful and your voice very expressive.

The words work if they mean what I want them to mean.

I want it to be about creativity and people.

I will be disappointed if its about status & money.

If its about both then they cancel each other out.

If its about some thing else, then I really cant say.

John has been introducing some of us to multi-layered lyrics.

Sometimes its a good idea to make songs mean what we want them to mean.

Whatever they mean, its a beautiful song.

Rudi

• Editors

Mahesh

The song is fab - thanks for sharing  :)

Hang on in there - you're doing great and things will get better and better for you, I know it  :)

You're the James Morrison of Bangalore, remember  :)

Jan

Heya Jan,

Thank you so much for the continuous support as always :)

• Editors

I like the song very much. The music is beautiful and your voice very expressive.

The words work if they mean what I want them to mean.

I want it to be about creativity and people.

I will be disappointed if its about status & money.

If its about both then they cancel each other out.

If its about some thing else, then I really cant say.

John has been introducing some of us to multi-layered lyrics.

Sometimes its a good idea to make songs mean what we want them to mean.

Whatever they mean, its a beautiful song.

Rudi

Hey Rudi,

Thanks a lot for listening :)

The song sure is not about money or status. They are too trivial for me. The song is about being content about where you are, finding your place in life. ( The Plan )

I mentioned in my first post about "getting there". "There" is where I'm completely able to isolate myself and not lose focus due to the external world and it's aspects. ( hence the first two lines of the song). And yes in this case, money does come in. At present, I'm too bothered about not having a good instrument or environment to translate the musical ideas in my head to reality. If that were to be sorted out, I would be able to completely be engrossed in my music. Laozi's book "Tao Te Ching" preaches Wei Wu Wei which translates to Doing Not Doing which I found very interesting. It's about being spontaneous. About being natural with your actions and instincts. I want to be able to do that with my music. Explore my musical instincts. And interesting how money kind of butts in everywhere huh? If you think about it, a lower middle class man working the hardest to feed his family and to buy his daughter the doll that'll result in the most priceless smile is ALSO in a way, about money. So it's hard to isolate yourself from these things at a spiritual/mental level especially when you are a musician. That's what the song is about. It's about being sure of the path you've taken in life. Being happy with it. Understanding where you are and should be.

About the my musical dream, well, I've had this wish of busking across Europe for a while. Be on my own, meet new people, make relationships, find my way. So in a way, the song IS about status, but LOSING it. Lol :)

Lyrically, I've been listening to a lot of Damien Rice and his lyrical style/point of view HAS been creeping up with mine. Lol

There might be a few other aspects of my personal life and relationships embedded in the song but it's largely about the overview. I'd be glad to do a run through of the entire song.

Thank you Rudi, it helped me to clear things out in my head as well. Cheers. :)

• Editors

It's a beautiful song. You have a wonderful voice and you understand how to arrange the "energy" of a piece over time.

I promised myself not to be overly critical of the recording environment.  It's worthy of re-recording in an optimal environment. and a polished mix.

Heya Mike, thank you for listening and I'm glad you feel that way. I do wish to do a very refined recording in a studio. Would be sure to share it with you when I do :)

Cheers

• Editors

Mahesh,

This could also be called "The Songwriters Lament" for anyone with goals of making it in the music business. Going through the ups and downs of what your doing is a perfectly normal experience. At least I hope it is! I have heard a lot of others describe the same thing and I've also felt that way. It may have something to do with us "artsy" types, whether through music, paint, prose... whatever, there are always those times when you think nothing can stop you, and then the times where you feel there's no way in hell you'll ever get what you want because you just suck... (at least that's what you think in your own mind). You've got at least one awesome video and you also have a CD on itunes. I'd say that's pretty good progress.

Remember, you're not famous until you are. Once someone notices you then it's "game on".

Be prepared... which you are.

Be hard working... which you are. 

Be your best... which you always seem to be. 

It's a hard nut to crack but in my eyes you have what it takes. It's just going to take someone "important" to see that. Keep doing what you're doing and don't stop. The downs always pass.

Then there is the other side of the coin where you/we/us will never make it anywhere in the music business! LOL! So, at the very least, we can deduct it's way more fun being positive and moving forward than being mired in the thought of failure.

Randy

Heya Randy,

Thank you very much for saying that. It kind of puts things into perspective. :)

I feel annoyed by the stagnancy than not reaching or failing. You know, I've always considered this whole thing a journey. It will lead to something. It might be good or not. I just get annoyed about being in the same place for so many years. Anyways thank you for your motivation. Of course I never let this stop me from doing music. Never be pressed against, because of these constraints. My spirits are still high as always. I'm learning to explore all my emotions as a songwriter and I'm glad this emotion was translated to a song that I could share with all of you. As I mentioned, it was a special one for me as a songwriter. 

As John would say "Onwards and Upwards" :)

Cheers

Mahesh

I mentioned in my first post about "getting there". "There" is where I'm completely able to isolate myself and not lose focus due to the external world and it's aspects. ( hence the first two lines of the song).

Mahesh,

It sounds like you getting there. I think you only need to isolate yourself briefly, to concentrate on assembling your music.

The world and all its distractions are necessary before that stage to inform your song; and they are necessary after to communicate to it.

• Editors

No problem Mareshi!   :lol2:

Haha, smart arse! :D

Mahesh,

It sounds like you getting there. I think you only need to isolate yourself briefly, to concentrate on assembling your music.

The world and all its distractions are necessary before that stage to inform your song; and they are necessary after to communicate to it.

Distractions being important, that's a nice way to look at it Rudi. Thank you :)

BTW, I dunno how much better this recording is, but at least it's a video. If anyone is interested :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVsiK2eKEhU