Your Ad Could Be Here

Feedback On My Singing Voice

MazingMaryRocks

Hi!

My own songs still don't have music attached to them so I decided to record a cover.

As you can read in my blog this is the very first time I ever recorded something and my voice will need a lot of training. But hey, got to start somewhere!

Visit mazingmaryrocks.blogspot.com to find the link to soundcloud.

I think you sound good. If you're truly as inexperienced as you claim, I'd say that you've done really well on this song. It's a bit difficult to tell much from a cover though, especially when you stay so close to the original. Vocals are not just about the voice.

To try to explain what I mean, there's a good (if somewhat corny) example in the movie Grease - Where John Travolta apparently had an ok voice, but couldn't really sing, so they had to hire (I think it was) Richard Marx to do the vocals first for Travolta to imitate. 

I look forward to hearing more of you when started recording some of your own stuff!

/Niclas

Edited by wilmot

First of all, you have a very nice(!) voice, and you made a well-mastered recording of it.

I'm no voice coach, but I suspect that the flaws such as they are in this piece have to do with "the column of air."  When you've got plenty of wind, you're able to put some very nice inflections into your voice (0:47 "my story to end").

Now let's go a second or two later, when the song builds up around 0:47-50, you pronounce the first part of that phrase very well ... strain a little bit to "no-thing can touch me," and you're straining for wind with ("why do I feel this ...").  So, the voice sounds thin(ner).  You don't have the air to modulate the middle or the ending of the phrase.

A couple seconds later, at 1:02 ("in-side ..."), you're modulating that phrase beautifully.  A few seconds later, straining a bit.  And so on.  "Breath control."

This is a very difficult song to sing, and, all in all, I think that you did an exceptional job with it!

Edited by MikeRobinson

Hi!

I really appriciate the time you took to listen to the cover. First I will like to say that the very first time I ever sang to anyone was in the end of december when taking my first vocal lesson. I was scared to death, but obviously I survived...

Just didn´t have the guts before, hated my voice and felt I was a useless singer. But life is changing (older and wiser??) and I decided to give it a try. As I stated before, I will not lie on my deathbed regretting all the stuffs I didn´t do because of my own fears. 

And Mike, thanks a lot for your constructive critisism! I know the song contains a few mistakes, like the "no-thing" for example. I started to build up some feeling when recording and didn´t look so much on the text so I was going to sing "no pain" instead but when my eyes landed on the paper... I realized my mistake but carried on anyway. 

I totally agree with you on the other parts aswell, I have a lot of training to put my voice into. 

Once again, I am impressed over the time people is willing to put into helping out others. You´re the best!

//MMR

Edited by MazingMaryRocks

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mary. I have listened to your clip twice, and first off, you do have  great voice. I am not well versed in how to critique singing, my experience and vocabulary are limited, but I wanted to mention, because the similarity in voice is astounding (to me anyway) that you sound like Marta Jandová who fronts a German band called Die Happy. You should check them out on YouTube if you are not familiar. I think with the similarity in voice you would have at least fun singing some of their songs, and it might make for some good vocal exercise. 

Hi James and (I believe it´s David?)!

Thank you so much for taking the time to listen to my little piece of cover. I really appriciate the feedback I got from you, especially when I read it on a day that didn´t have much good things to offer... :no:

I listened to "Die Happy", I liked them but I am not near the singer she is. But maybe some day, you never know ;)

And to David, yes, you are absolutely right. I hold back a lot, by the time that cover was recorded, I had never had the guts to sing to anyone (accept once (!) from a vocal coach I just met. So I got a lot of training to do with my voice, and I started, it´s supercool! I still dont know how to control my voice properly, guess that will take a while...) but I did learn how much power I can use, and that was a Finding! Wow, never could have dreamt that my voice could do and sound like that!

So, time for me to repeat myself:

Tank you SO much!!

//MMR