Your Ad Could Be Here

What are your favourite plectrums/plectra?

I think this is a Songstuff first!

If you play guitar, and don't exclusively fingerpick, what plectrums do you like to use?

Me, I like Jim Dunlop 0.65 gauge (the light grey ones). Good grip and just the right amount of flex and attack.

Sometimes I sue the next gauge up (0.75? the dark grey ones) if I want to play loud.

I've tried Fender ones but they are too smooth and slip out of my fingers.

My wife recently bought me some metal ones. I don't think I am going to get along with those.

A couple of years ago I tried those round plastic ones wth a hole in the middle - looks like a Polo mint/Lifesaver. Rubbish.

I always keep a plectrum in my wallet - you never know when you will be caught short. I have used cut-up detergent bottles in the past but they never work as well.

A guy comes to our weekly session who uses a pick the thickness of a paving slab. Turns out he is really a bass player and isn't used to anything else - but it makes for a disjointed style of playing.

Watch out for more fab guitar accessory threads!

If you play guitar, and don't exclusively fingerpick, what plectrums do you like to use?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A detailed discussion on my pick preferences:

http://www.songstuff.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2070

The short answer: Gibson medium triangular.

I always keep a plectrum in my wallet - you never know when you will be caught short. I have used cut-up detergent bottles in the past but they never work as well.

Mine (two or three, usually) are in my right trousers pocket.

Didier

Didier may be about to tell us that in fact this topic has been done before (July 2003 - before my time!)

Still, there are some new members since then....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I got something right for a change! :D

Thanks, Didier, I shall go and have a read.

I just read that John uses a stone!!!... well I tried that too, but the stones I found were not very hard and wear out really fast, also had an awful attack sound.

I wrote about my picks on the strings thread Here.

quoted:"also my picks are very strange because I make them myself using a thumb pick, a 3mm jim dunlop big stubby, some superglue and a dremel machine..."

that's it!

Me, I like Jim Dunlop 0.65 gauge (the light grey ones). Good grip and just the right amount of flex and attack.

I think they are 0.60mm actually!

I used the next gauge up last night because it was so damn hot and the 0.60 turns to mush in the heat!

• 3 weeks later...

Like Didier, I like Gibson triangular picks (they are always black). I find the gauges LIGHT, MEDIUM & HEAVY very unreliable. In other words they vary, and sometimes a HEAVY will be about the same as a certain MEDIUM. So I handle them before I buy. I end up buying some of each.

As a general rule, the heavier pick suits the heavier gauge strings, and there should be a little give in them.

I couldnt find these picks for about 3 years and was using up my `stock'. I now have found them again (Yippee!) & so bought some new ones.

I use light strings and find that firm picks get tangled in them? Am I alone in this? Is it just my cack-handed technique?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you mainly strum, more give is desirable, so a lighter pick makes sense. Light picks are ok for melody work if you dont mind all your notes sounding the same.

Thats what I reckon anyway

Hey

I use either red or white sharkfins for strumming, but for lead guitar I use a stone. Yes a stone. The stones in question are picked up from a beach where they have been smoothed by the sea. Picking the right stones you get something that glides easily across the strings, but you won't get anything harder.

Cheers

John