Your Ad Could Be Here

talent competitions

Hey

What do you think of talent competitions? Do you think they help artists? What would you recommend artists look for when they sign up?

Cheers

John

do you mean like battle of the bands etc?

We are doing one in a couple of months just to play at the venue not intersted in winning etc. Really just using it as a gig to help promote our album as it usually brings in 500+ people.

I think botb's are not good for morale. Always disapointing to lose.

do you mean like battle of the bands etc?

We are doing one in a couple of months just to play at the venue not intersted in winning etc. Really just using it as a gig to help promote our album as it usually brings in 500+ people.

I think botb's are not good for morale. Always disapointing to lose.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Usually it's more Battle Of Who Is Most Friendly With The Promoter.

( ie. who gets the longest soundcheck, gets to use their own drumkit etc...)

Great fun though. Last time I played in one we got beaten by Glass Onion who went on to become Travis ???

BS

I played in one here in madrid about a year ago with mi old band "antartic hippies", the other guitarist sent a demo without telling the rest of us what was all about and I got a call saying that we were in... ( in what?!! play live??!!! in a week???!!!!)

I was shocked, because we haven't played together since 3 years or so and we didn't have a drum player, no bass player either and the singer was living in mannheim, the other guitarist in Italy...

I didn't have any callouses in my fingers... just marshmellows!!!

I was really afraid, because we had just one week to get all done,

finally we hired a pro drummer just for that day and I teached the songs to my friend Martin on the bass, the singer and the other guitarist arrived the same day as the venue and we rehearsed full band just for two hours... after years not playing toghether!!!

the sound check was a joke, they gave us less than a minute!!! (I have it all recorded) and we opened that night... the audience was just the couple of groups that played after us...

obviously we didn't make it and it was a miserable experience. :(

I think if your songs (or talent) is less than great! Then you will always be disapointed. It's good to know your limitations...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I made a CD of lots of my old stuff called 'Hidden Talent'

Geddit??