Your Ad Could Be Here

Audio Spectrum Analyzers

So I've been researching recording techniques, the results I'm getting are definite improvements over where I was before, one thing that a site mentioned was the use of an audio spectrum analyzer to tell you how your frequencies are balanced.  As far as I can tell the idea seemed to be that it would analyze your mix and tell you how top heavy, bottom heavy, or mid heavy it is and the ranges within so if you're putting out too much mid or high or low you could see this and adjust it.  It sounds helpful, and they gave you this link to an analyzer called Span I believe it was.  I downloaded it but then it doesn't seem to show up anywhere on my computer!  I'm not sure if it's compatible with Studio One, which is my recording program.  

Does anyone know about these things?  Know of a different analyzer I could try or why I can't seem to get Span to work?  

It is probably in a hidden folder for VSTs. You may then have to run a VST load tool. Sorry I am not familiar with studio 1. Or your operating system lol

It is probably in a hidden folder for VSTs. You may then have to run a VST load tool. Sorry I am not familiar with studio 1. Or your operating system lol

Oh well lol.  I'll figure it out I'm sure.  On the positive side, I just finished what to me is a decent mix, first I've been able to get since studying up on techniques and doing more than just fiddling with knobs.  I'll post it soon as it's mastered :)  

Span will probably have been installed in your program files folder - there is often an associated .dll file which should have been put in the folder that holds your VST plugins...if it isn't there try copying the .dll  to that folder...that generally does the trick.

Edited by dnafe

Although I agree that an analyzer can be helpful you should start to really familiarize yourself with what frequencies sound like. The other thing that you need to address if you are taking this recording thing seriously is your listening environment. 

Simple treatments can accomplish amazing results in taming low end and reflections in your listening room and should be the #1 priority for any serious recordist.

The 2nd priority is buyng the best monitors you can afford (or save up for) with these two things in place what you hear will ten times more accurate than what you're previously used to.

And that makes your job (recording and mic decisions) that much easier

• Like 1

Although I agree that an analyzer can be helpful you should start to really familiarize yourself with what frequencies sound like. The other thing that you need to address if you are taking this recording thing seriously is your listening environment. 

Simple treatments can accomplish amazing results in taming low end and reflections in your listening room and should be the #1 priority for any serious recordist.

The 2nd priority is buyng the best monitors you can afford (or save up for) with these two things in place what you hear will ten times more accurate than what you're previously used to.

And that makes your job (recording and mic decisions) that much easier

The sad thing is that my reason for doing all this is in the hopes of making money with it as I literally have no income whatsoever at all.  So there is no "saving" right now, I do listen in different ways though, listening in different parts of the room, using 2 sets of headphones that sound different.  I believe everything is improving but I'm just not improving at the rate and to the level I want to be.  I'm not sure what I need I keep scouring the internet for more tips and tricks but it'd be nice if I could find a youtube channel with like 100s of videos that take you step by step through everything you could want to know.  As of now I'm reading articles on this BAM audio school website.  

Ask away. I'm sure many of the more qualified people here will gladly share their knowledge.

You could also go to http://womb.mixerman.net/

Great wealth of knowledge and talent at that place...granted the guys can be a little terse with newcomers don't let that bother you...just do your research then ask away

Edited by dnafe

Ask away. I'm sure many of the more qualified people here will gladly share their knowledge.

You could also go to http://womb.mixerman.net/

Great wealth of knowledge and talent at that place...granted the guys can be a little terse with newcomers don't let that bother you...just do your research then ask away

Ooo thanks!  

• 1 month later...

I think analyzers are really good for giving you an visual representation of what that particular instrument or track is doing but I certainly wouldn't do any EQ-ing based on what I saw.

You also have to be aware of whether it's the fundamental or a harmonic that needs to be treated or whether the overall timbre of the instrument is correct for a song.  Sometimes just changing the instrument or the source i.e. DI or mic or mucking with compression can make a huge difference

For example with a bass guitar - I had this one bass guitar that just wouldn't play nice...beautifully recorded, good timbre and well played but after futzing with it in various ways it just didn't sit well so I tried a little distortion on the upper harmonics and Bob's Your Uncle, that was what was needed.

So I guess what I'm saying is use your ears, take the time to learn frequency ranges and how each effects individual instruments and you'll never need a spectrum analyzer.  It's not hard, it just takes a little time

• Like 1

From my limited personal experience I have yet to run across a spectrum analyzer being used as part of the daily routine of mixing and mastering. So we'll have to agree to disagree on that point but reserve the right to be wrong

As for pointing out aberrations in an audio track, an experienced AE or ME would hear that in an instant so a spectrum analyzer would be redundant.  I'm not suggesting they aren't used at all, I just think you might be giving them a little more importance than they are due. 

For someone new to audio they can be a great tool to identifying frequencies but in my opinion the human ear is far more discerning than a spectrum analyzer and once it's trained the need for a spectrum analyzer diminishes quickly.

If you're speaking to me it's Don...and no problems at my end...all is cool.

The real thing the OP has to understand is there are no magic bullets, no quick fixes and no all in one solutions in audio.  I was on a skype call this AM with a friend of mine...top level AE and we were discussing various ways to deal with certain audio tracks and it was interesting that in each case there were at least three ways to approach the problem so there is nothing written in stone.

Hello peoples, I haven't posted in a while but I just listened to this conversation.  To be honest, I got a spectrum analyzer, I read how people use them and watched a video, and I can't figure out how to even get it to help LOL  But this matter seems to have no one answer that fits all situations, some people claim they are necessary, some seem to think they hurt.  Like you'll mix based on what you see not hear.  For me I'm just kind of trying everything possible, mixing is very difficult for me and I think that's hard for me to admit because my whole life I was impressed at how quickly I learned to use my equipment and how I am a "one man band" and this always made me feel like "of course I'll be good at mixing music, pfft, I do it all"  But when it's all said and done, other people are getting much better results than I am and putting in less time and effort, I'm not sure if I just don't have good ears or overthink what I'm doing or what.  Anyway, thanks for your input everyone, I want to get back to posting but I'm really busy atm, I suddenly got hired for a job that requires me to travel 2 hours every day, but it's money so that's good.  Anyway, thanks for the replies.  

Sorry, Dan, I was thinking about this at work this morning. I think I'm getting too vested in "trying to help" in this workshop. I don't think the OP wants my help, anyway. Not really. I'm going to restrict myself to listening and commenting on tracks. Sorry for being an ass.

Oh you're fine, I haven't even been paying attention to the forums, I do the same thing sometimes.  I'll feel like someone is giving incorrect advice and then I get this urge to fix the problem for the sake of the OP and can become too serious about it. But all in all I think you both have good points, I've heard alot of people echoing your point of view so I don't think you're wrong, I just don't know how to use these things right now hahaha

• 1 month later...

I hope you get SPAN figured out. It is a wonderful thing and I use it on  fairly regular basis, not just to look at where certain frequencies are but also to see if I'm clipping. The thing about SPAN is that is can be loaded onto the master or onto any channel.

Basically if Studio One doesn't see the VST it won't load it, so I would check your preferences/settings and make sure it is set to look for it.You might need to designate which folder it should look in. I would also confirm that you have the version needed to use after market VST. I have Studio One but I have never delved into that part of it. If SPAN isn't auto loading , simply drag it into your VST folder. One other thing to look at....if the version of SPAN you are loading is 64bit it won't work in a 32 bit computer, but a 32 bit should still work in a 64 bit computer.

• Like 1