Your Ad Could Be Here

Voice development

So - going into studio this Wednesday to sing in the lead vocal for my upcoming single - and the producer isn't happy. He doesn't get what he heard on the demo. When analyzing the voice track on the demo it turns out that my voice has gotten more "depth" since I recorded it last summer. Also - I sing the song differently - with a more seasoned voice I do more "acting" - which (as it turns out) the producer didn't want.

Morale? Rehearsing changes your voice. And sometimes you want what you had.

Anyway - now I'll spend more work doing the vocals like I did before (or as close to as possible).

Hey, Finn

Call me naive but who is calling the shots here?

Don't you get the choice of how you sing it?

Or do you have a record company that has a say in the decisions?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, I have the last word - he's just doing his job. I will of course do a check when he's happy.

Generally I have no problems with the producer being more demanding than I. Problems occur, I think, when producers are "lazy" and also have the last word.

For this song, he's set on the "feel" I delivered on the demo which worked better on that particular song in spite of being more simplistic.

Hey Finn

Well what do you lose by trying it with the old style vocals? Nothing. It either works or it doesn't.

As far as changing your vocal style goes, like learning any new style it's easy for it to over take your existing style. Over the years I've had to reign in my enthusiasm for new techniques on various occasions. It's difficult to keep your subjectivity on your skills.

What are your plans for the single? Is there any way I can help? I'm happy to help if I can.

Cheers

John

Hey Finn

Well what do you lose by trying it with the old style vocals? Nothing. It either works or it doesn't.

As far as changing your vocal style goes, like learning any new style it's easy for it to over take your existing style. Over the years I've had to reign in my enthusiasm for new techniques on various occasions. It's difficult to keep your subjectivity on your skills.

What are your plans for the single? Is there any way I can help? I'm happy to help if I can.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, John - I'm releasing the single digital-only on iTunes (unless any other record companies comes forth to license it, I won't be printing up copies on my label), so any promotion you can provide will be helpful. I'll be budgeting for online advertising with the album release.

Finn

Cool. Just give me a shout. We can get it mentioned in the newsletter, and put up a banner, and a feature/interview.

Out of interest, how are you doing the release to iTunes? Are you using their service directly or through a third party? It's something I've been thinking about doing with "Awaken".

Cheers

John

Finn

Cool. Just give me a shout. We can get it mentioned in the newsletter, and put up a banner, and a feature/interview.

Out of interest, how are you doing the release to iTunes? Are you using their service directly or through a third party? It's something I've been thinking about doing with "Awaken".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great - I'll let you know. About iTunes: I have signed up directly for my label.