Your Ad Could Be Here

Strat Tremolo Issues

Hey guys.  Just picked up a banged up old Frankenstein Strat and I'm having trouble with the tremolo.

If I bend the notes or push the tremolo down more than a quarter step it goes out of tune.  I'm going to replace the vintage saddles with American Standard saddles to help keep the strings nice and centered but I wonder if that'll be enough with this one. Whoever owned this thing before me did some weird stuff to it such as swapping the neck and a few other things. It's got no serial numbers so I have no idea how old it is but I'm guessing most of it is from a standard Tex-mex, Mexican Strat.

I adjusted the action and intonation and everything else looks just fine. Can anyone think of anything else I might need to do? I would love to make this bashed up old thing a performer.

I cant offer you anything useful.

I had a standard strat from new and found the trem pretty useless (some 40 years ago). I actually broke the damn thing trying to use it. I know people have modified them to great effect though. It might be worth a search on youtube.

• 4 weeks later...

Yup that's the rub on Fender style Tremlos. How many springs and in what order does it have hooked up?

Also I think some of the problem can come from the nut side (sticking and so forth) and the Machine Heads maybe try a locking nut and or tuners.

If all else fails.... Floyd Rose Whammys are pretty Cheap

Edited by EJB

I have a USA Strat plus ,with the roller nut and Lace Sensor pickups that was doing the same thing.

I bet iI oiled and cleaned the nut and set up the guitar 5 times before I finally tried angling the trem claw slightly , after seeing it in a vidio.

It actually seems to have worked [knock on wood].

I still dont understand why with myself as well as 99% of the people i hear of having this problem ,its always on the G ,and if you hit the trem again it comes back to tune.

By the way the angle was putting slightly less pressure on the E B and G .[that part of the claw slightly closer to the neck]

Best of luck !!!!

MIM Strats come from the factory with 9's. If you changed string gauges, you likely have binding at the nut. If it is a six screw bridge, there might be wear or a need for lube where the bridge rocks on the screws. Lube the nut slots and check that the rear of the bridge is 1/8" off the top of the body. Lots of people like the bridge flush to help with tuning stability. Make sure all tuner hardware and neck screws are tight.

How is the neck relief? Lots of Strats have truss rods that have never been adjusted after leaving the factory.

Good luck!