Your Ad Could Be Here

Feeding Your Inspiration Monster

What's up everyone,

As of late, I have been really focusing on my craft of music and songwriting and learning all the technicalities and rules, etc... that are involved with it, and I have been improving; which has been awesome. In my studies to get better I came across a songwriting series on YouTube from Berklee University done by John Mayer and I highly recommend the whole thing.

The first video of eight is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUwPB6bHpF8

One of the major things I latched onto in the things he said about writing and music and the creative process is that you have 2 seperate parts of your craft: The Information and the Inspiration. The jist of what I got from it was "Learn all you can about your craft, your writing and your instrument: the theory, the techniques... develop your skill... but the goal is to get all of that INFORMATION to meet up with and marry with your INSPIRATION, then you're songwriting!".

Inspiration is the flip side of information, in the double-sided songwriting coin, and I for one have HIGHLY neglected that; although inspiration is the heart and most important part of a song. So, What inspires you? Walking downtown? Watching a movie that moves your heart? Meditation? Sports? Travelling? He said that if you really want ideas and inspiration you have to know yourself, and know what is important to other people: love, emotion, events, places, people, etc...

The goal is to get as much information as you can, which is easy enough: read books on songwriting, watch videos on how to get better, go to a workshop etc... and then get as much inspiration as you can: he uses the example of him being a college student in Boston, and one day he just gets out and starts walking around town to discover the city: who are the people? what does he see? hear? experience? And in those magical moments, the inspiration he was getting from the city began CONNECTING to the information he was learning in class as a songwriting student; and thats how solid songs are written that really connect to yourself and others.

"Generally, what connects with other people, is you connecting with yourself" -John Mayer

I would also add "and connecting with whats around you".

So I wanted to ask you guys: what do you do to "feed your inspiration monster"?

I live in Charleston SC, so there are tons of things to see and do. I go to the beaches and people watch; I go downtown in the evenings and people watch. I listen to the conversations in the bars. I also am trying to start reading more fictional books that have themes across the things that I like to write about. Currently I am reading "South of Broad" by Pat Conroy, which is about the city of Charleston, so that is another thing that I am linking up with getting out into the city. I really want to connect with the people here specifically, with my music by writing about things that they know and care about. As far as musical inspiration, I have been listening to lots and lots of classical music. Even though I do not write in that style, classical music stretches my brain to hear melodies and harmonies and rhythms that are so complex and deep and intricate, that it has helped flesh out what I think my own songs are capable of musically. I also have begun simple meditation, taking care of my body and health, and making sure I get enough sleep at night (haha).

Those are some things I have been doing lately to feed my inspiration and creativity and it has been paying off BIG TIME. So I was wondering...

How do you guys feed your inspiration monster... and are those things playing into your writing?? How??

Edited by SeanKelly
  • Like 3

Get this into a BLOG - you can easily here on SS.

Need help doing so - just ask :yes:

Good topic - like your style Sean - giving back :yes:

Now go blog it here on SS please :stickpoke:

:flowers:

This is a troublesome thing for me.  I wrestle with myself as a songwriter.  Mainly a lyricist.  Musically speaking I'm actually almost arrogant about my abilities, I believe I can compose and sing like no one else I know, not necessarily always better but it's always got this stamp that only I can really give it, and that unique sound really makes me feel like I have something.  But what bothers me is that my lyrics always sound a bit too distant.  They aren't... I can make chord progressions and compositions that will make most anyone go WOWWW that's COOL!!!!  But I feel like I can't move someone to tears, can't get people to go "man this speaks directly into my life" or "Your music has helped me through a really rough time"  And the funny thing is that this makes me flip flop between thinking I'm a great artist, to think I'm a useless one.  

My inspiration hits usually when I've watched a movie, when I'm doing work of any kind, when I wake up, I mean melodies and guitar licks and such fly into my head very easily, but it's that "knowing myself" thing you speak of... I think I know myself, and what I know is there's not much to me, so there's not much to my message.  I don't know if it's all in my head or real, it's just the light turmoil I have.  I certainly don't lose sleep or stop writing over it, it's just always there, in the back of my mind, and never truly resolved unless just seemingly so for a short period of time.  

Great post by the way, that youtube series sounds like it may be just what the doctor ordered.  

Unresolved by symphonius7

even when I'm sleeping

a tinge of turmoil keeps on creeping

all of the time

there in the back of my mind

is it in my head or is it real?

how do I really feel?

so many questions I must wrestle

'to write my message for this vessel

I'm unresolved

Unresolved

Your inspiration is like The Kingdom of God, Bro - it's within you.  You're just not paying attention to it.   ;)

Hobo that was... unexpectedly powerful and deep.  I've... heard the same message before but in cliches that didn't really make an impact... I'm gonna put that in my phone and keep mulling it over when I feel weird.  Thank you.  

Yeah symphonius, for a couple years there I think I could relate to what you're saying. Like theres not much to you, so theres not much to what you have to say. I can assure you however, that everyone is an individual and absolutely does have something to say and contribute, you just have to re-connect with that deep part of yourself ("Your inspiration IS within you" quote that HBS gave for example). Its only now that I'm beginning to get a hang of this. Before, I felt like I was just stumbling around taking whatever ended up naturally and randomly inspiring me in my day to day life, and usually those things were good for a decent song or two, but it was so few and far between. It didn't consistently have that powerful emotional connection to myself and others like you are talking about, though from a musical construction standpoint it was good.

I've really made it a point to be intentional and decisive about getting inspired, no matter what it takes. I am not picky. I'll take it anywhere I can. And honestly, in the process I have been learning a lot about myself. Another major thing that helped make the whole process a lot more simple was thinking to myself, "when I was younger, even before I started getting serious about this music stuff, what inspired me? What brought me to life and made me light up?". A few more things just popped into my head: being outdoors; painting/drawing and looking at art, cooking, reading plays and going to theatre performances and symphonies, concerts etc... also, I think a major part of your inspiration is this willingness one must have to go to those places that scare us, make us sad, etc... whether its talking to that girl you keep wanting to, or doing that thing you've always been afraid to, or rekindling that relationship with that important person in your life, working through deep issues, etc... That type of stuff absolutely gives rise to emotional opportunites to write about. THAT kind of stuff, people can absolutely relate to.

I think the key is that whenever you are doing these things, don't even think about your songs. Do them because you are trying to connect with yourself, and its that connecting with yourself that gives birth to your songs. And its about way more than the music here. Trying to reconnect with myself, and the city and the people around me has done wonders for my individuality and happiness beyond just a songwriting stand-point. And if you keep that up for a few weeks, before you know it you'll see something and be like "holy crap, I could write an awesome song about this". And you'll just start singing, and the ideas will begin to flow, and then your craft and technique will take over, and before you know it, everything will have paid off.

(Side note, if you check out my latest song "Lonely Love" on the lyrics critique section of the forum, this is the first song I have written as a result of everything I am talking about. I had been downtown about 3 nights in a row, and doing other things to catch inspiration and I noticed one thing every night: multiple beautiful women, out walking- alone... and the hook just fell into my brain "Why do you have to be such a lonely love?". I'm really pleased with it. ::selfish plug:: haha)

It sounds like you know whats going on man, and you're on your way- I'm stoked for that

• Like 2

Yeah symphonius, for a couple years there I think I could relate to what you're saying. Like theres not much to you, so theres not much to what you have to say. I can assure you however, that everyone is an individual and absolutely does have something to say and contribute, you just have to re-connect with that deep part of yourself ("Your inspiration IS within you" quote that HBS gave for example). Its only now that I'm beginning to get a hang of this. Before, I felt like I was just stumbling around taking whatever ended up naturally and randomly inspiring me in my day to day life, and usually those things were good for a decent song or two, but it was so few and far between. It didn't consistently have that powerful emotional connection to myself and others like you are talking about, though from a musical construction standpoint it was good.

I've really made it a point to be intentional and decisive about getting inspired, no matter what it takes. I am not picky. I'll take it anywhere I can. And honestly, in the process I have been learning a lot about myself. Another major thing that helped make the whole process a lot more simple was thinking to myself, "when I was younger, even before I started getting serious about this music stuff, what inspired me? What brought me to life and made me light up?". A few more things just popped into my head: being outdoors; painting/drawing and looking at art, cooking, reading plays and going to theatre performances and symphonies, concerts etc... also, I think a major part of your inspiration is this willingness one must have to go to those places that scare us, make us sad, etc... whether its talking to that girl you keep wanting to, or doing that thing you've always been afraid to, or rekindling that relationship with that important person in your life, working through deep issues, etc... That type of stuff absolutely gives rise to emotional opportunites to write about. THAT kind of stuff, people can absolutely relate to.

I think the key is that whenever you are doing these things, don't even think about your songs. Do them because you are trying to connect with yourself, and its that connecting with yourself that gives birth to your songs. And its about way more than the music here. Trying to reconnect with myself, and the city and the people around me has done wonders for my individuality and happiness beyond just a songwriting stand-point. And if you keep that up for a few weeks, before you know it you'll see something and be like "holy crap, I could write an awesome song about this". And you'll just start singing, and the ideas will begin to flow, and then your craft and technique will take over, and before you know it, everything will have paid off.

(Side note, if you check out my latest song "Lonely Love" on the lyrics critique section of the forum, this is the first song I have written as a result of everything I am talking about. I had been downtown about 3 nights in a row, and doing other things to catch inspiration and I noticed one thing every night: multiple beautiful women, out walking- alone... and the hook just fell into my brain "Why do you have to be such a lonely love?". I'm really pleased with it. ::selfish plug:: haha)

It sounds like you know whats going on man, and you're on your way- I'm stoked for that

This is an exciting way of looking at things.  There's a sort of... "call to duty" for artists (all people but kind of specifically artists because they have the power to excite these inspirational feelings in others) to go out there and live for the sake of their art.  Kind of to jump out of emotional airplanes because there's a song at the bottom of that drop.  It's a really neat way of looking at things!  I'm gonna go check out that song now.  

My inspiration hits usually when I've watched a movie, when I'm doing work of any kind, when I wake up, I mean melodies and guitar licks and such fly into my head very easily, but it's that "knowing myself" thing you speak of... I think I know myself, and what I know is there's not much to me, so there's not much to my message.  I don't know if it's all in my head or real, it's just the light turmoil I have.  I certainly don't lose sleep or stop writing over it, it's just always there, in the back of my mind, and never truly resolved unless just seemingly so for a short period of time.  

I just wanted to make sure you actually got my point, symph.  The little lyric and it's title I wrote was "inspired" by what you wrote.  It really is in you.  All I did was pay attention to it - hear the song in it.  You're singing your songs to yourself all the time.  You just have to listen and hear them.

Yeah that's pretty much what I got, that's why I said I'd heard it before but in cliches.  It's usually said "Just trust your instincts" "Trust yourself"  "Be confident in what you write" etc.  But you put it in this way that made it hit me more like...  "Just stop wrestling and love what you love about what you do, leave the third party in your head who judges it all harshly out of it and don't try to GUESS what they want to hear, make it mean something to YOU and you are GOOD"  at least that's one way I thought of putting it.  There was a subconscious understanding I can't really put into words as well.  

Noob heaven- Something I think I can feel credible while responding to! :P

The question is how does one feed one's 'inspiration monster', right?

Well for me, there is precisely no technique for finding cranium grain. I mean I've been making up dittys for as many years as I've been able to hold an intelligible conversation; Since I was 20 ;) . I NEVER sit down and try to write a song from scratch. Alas, this doesn't stop me producing them (sorry!). I spend a lot of my life in benign  positions such as on the bus, on the train, in a cafe ect.. where I have little choice but to watch the world and all of it's marvellous occurrences pass me by. I see a 'thing' happen to a person or another 'thing', and every now and then a subconscious 'what if' sparks a train of thought and imagination which usually lasts the entire physical vacancy. Normally a story or concept is born and even a few definite lyrics. Possibly even a tune. I might even have mentally dug back to a riff or progression I'd been playing with in the past and done a bit of match making. 

If I can still remember it next time I have my guitar in my hands it's a good start. If the song isn't as easy to write as the concept was to conjure, I leave it alone. Not necessarily for good, just until something clicks at random during my chaotic goat rodeo of a life and I have ample opportunity to revisit it. All my stuff is done this way. :) 

I guess I can concur with the John Mayer quotes. There's myself rather casually, and quite often unintentionally putting myself in touch with myself, occasionally referring to myself for guidance during and then pitching the whole idea to myself afterwards. 

I find this works. :) 

Noob heaven- Something I think I can feel credible while responding to! :P

The question is how does one feed one's 'inspiration monster', right?

Well for me, there is precisely no technique for finding cranium grain. I mean I've been making up dittys for as many years as I've been able to hold an intelligible conversation; Since I was 20 ;) . I NEVER sit down and try to write a song from scratch. Alas, this doesn't stop me producing them (sorry!). I spend a lot of my life in benign  positions such as on the bus, on the train, in a cafe ect.. where I have little choice but to watch the world and all of it's marvellous occurrences pass me by. I see a 'thing' happen to a person or another 'thing', and every now and then a subconscious 'what if' sparks a train of thought and imagination which usually lasts the entire physical vacancy. Normally a story or concept is born and even a few definite lyrics. Possibly even a tune. I might even have mentally dug back to a riff or progression I'd been playing with in the past and done a bit of match making. 

If I can still remember it next time I have my guitar in my hands it's a good start. If the song isn't as easy to write as the concept was to conjure, I leave it alone. Not necessarily for good, just until something clicks at random during my chaotic goat rodeo of a life and I have ample opportunity to revisit it. All my stuff is done this way. :)

I guess I can concur with the John Mayer quotes. There's myself rather casually, and quite often unintentionally putting myself in touch with myself, occasionally referring to myself for guidance during and then pitching the whole idea to myself afterwards. 

I find this works. :)

I love how you worded that last part hahaha 

• Like 1

Hmmm

There seems to be a lot of looking inside yourselves at what to write about. The truth is, mist times inspiration comes from a reaction to something external. That reaction itself is a chain or chains of thought that we as writers channel and present as perspective.

In other words, no matter who we are, or how empty or nothingness we feel, we always react to the world. Writers present their perspective on that world, but the seed of ideas is not something we comb our brains for when we have nothing better to do, it is events and stimulus happening now, or experienced now. Looking inside is okay, and certainly it can come up with ideas based on memory, but the most fertile ground, for me, us that of reaction. It could be something you see or hear, or feel.

Creativity works best with regular, ongoing stimulus. Some types are better than others and the combination varies from person to person. Memory is fickle. The world is a great stimulus. It is full. Over full. More ideas in a square inch than you know what to do with. In fact, that is often a big problem... People start looking and once their eyes are opened, they are overwhelmed with possibilities.

So my recommendation is just that. Look outward. Learn how to see again.

Look outward. 

See, now I had one of my benign moments just there. 

I could go on to reason that When you're feeling happy, you should look upward, sad: downward, liberal: left ways, rich: right ways and frisky, jet ahead right at the moment the 'girl next door' crosses your path. (Infact, on the last point, that could be any of the former depending on her position relative to your own perspective...).

There's definitely a song there somewhere. 

Is it too early in the morning to grab my guitar? :P

Edited by JoeBennettMusic

Is it to early to grab the girl next door?

;)

Of course not!

• Like 1

Well, I s'pose in terms of making my presence felt, it would be equally as effective.

I imagine the reaction would be much the same too:   :no1:

Lol. I liked your FB page btw. Are you on LinkedIn joe?

Wow. It started as a business professionals social network, online resumes etc, but it has grown, include music biz people, all sorts... Kinda a social network with an employment angle lol sounds naff, but actually pretty good.

That's more or less what I meant by reaction to stimulus, that is what comes out of us (along with actions which are a language of their own). Not so much misunderstood as "expressed in a different way" lol