Your Ad Could Be Here

Old Wind

I wrote this a while ago, inspired by the wind rattling the office window and wanting to be anywhere other than at work!

Old Wind

Old wind,I have known you
but briefly.
From a light sleep
you wake me,
face pressed against my window
like an errant child without a friend.

You ride the turbulence
in a world full of secrets;
The Confidant to love and death;
blowing kisses of eternal promise
while gathering up last breaths.

Some days you wander
through cinammon streets,
speak in hermit tongue,
an odour of stale whiskey and smoke
on your weary exhalations.

Other times, your playful sprite
chases butterflies
through lily-white glades,
lifts kites aloft with childlike hope
and stirs the autumn leaves.

I hear your fitful
zephyr song
on the wind-chimes in the yard.
Old wind, I run with you tonight -
if from a light sleep you wake me.

© Darren Hawbrook

G'day Darren.  Though we can't see this amazing aspect of nature we see it's affects in many ways.  Some pleasant some devastating.  Enjoyed your sentiments mate.

Merv Webster.

• 2 months later...

That's cool dude, some nice metaphors thrown in as well...
blowing kisses of eternal promise
while gathering up last breaths. - those two just work great.

Hi Darren

Some really amazing lines, they felt grand and epic....from the couple things I have read of yours you write like a published author, are you?..if not why not?...you have a lot of great things to say!!..regards Mike  

Thanks for the compliment, Mike - really appreciate it.

I had a short-story and poem published a few years back but I just tend to post poems to my blog now (and on here). I self-pubbed a story on Amazon - part of an urban fantasy series I have planned - but it's finding time around the day job and family, something I'm sure most people on here are familiar with.

Oh well, keep plugging away. We can but do what we can do. I'm more bugged out that I haven't got a decent recording of any of my songs yet, but that's another story!

:)

Hey Darren

I can totally relate on all accounts.  I have published two poems myself way back when, then I also tried the self-publish route..I put a chap book together and was selling them on e-bay...that worked for alittle while....and with work and family I had to set my priorities...now that kids are off on their own I have a little more flexability to write and have gotten into writing lyrics...same as you, I am waiting for my big break with the song lyrics ( I have gotten some great feedback) but I won't hold my breath (LOL).  Anyways the best of luck to you, I admire your talent and creativity and wish you the best of luck!!...I am always looking to form collaborations so if you ever have a need for a fellow writer, let me know and I will make myself available.  regards Mike

To be honest, I haven't written a new song for a few years now. I'm so bugged out about my backlog I can't even bring myself to sit down and try and come up with something new. I have at least 30 complete songs - lyrics and accompaniement (either on guitar or piano) it's just when it comes down to trying to put a full arrangement together that I struggle. I have Logic Pro and am starting to get better, but this whole process is the one that takes the most time.

What an exquisite write and inspired by the wind :-) very rich imagery making the mind wander with

such beautiful lines. Loved this.

Hey Darren

Since you are a musician...can I ask you to take a look at some song lyrics I have published under the lyrics forum?  would love to get into a collaboration with a real musician..since the musicality part is what I am lacking!...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!..regards Mike

What an exquisite write and inspired by the wind :-) very rich imagery making the mind wander with

such beautiful lines. Loved this.

Thanks Gwyneth, thanks for reading. Glad you liked it :)

Hey Darren

Since you are a musician...can I ask you to take a look at some song lyrics I have published under the lyrics forum?  would love to get into a collaboration with a real musician..since the musicality part is what I am lacking!...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!..regards Mike

Hi Mike, I'm completely buried in my own songs to think about collaborations at the minute. Couldn't find where to read your song lyrics. Do you have a link?

Hi Darren

This is an excellent write which conjures up many pictures in my mind.

I love how you have described the different moods of the wind and the effects they bring.

Well done  :)

Jan

Archived