Your Ad Could Be Here

Updated: Back To Slinging Hash (Again And Again)

trust me, I was in a quiet rage today.

I went back for my paycheck later and I was told my paperwork had not been processed.

The waitresses supported me. But there was no win in the fight.

I had spent some money on new clothes to dress appropriately (most places supply chef coats) It may turn out that I lost more then I made. I won't know for a week to be sure. They've lied about everything else so far I wouldn't be surprised if they lied about my rate of pay as well.

So far,,, It's been good.

I've worked the last 4 days and finally I got thrown in the fire so to speak. Busy and I was left to my own devices (as opposed to a helper / trainer ) It worked out great. Plenty of compliments from the manager and staff on my timing and presentation.

Along the way my past has caught up with me. A co-worker of mine at a 4 star restaurant I worked at in the early 90's is now a salesman for a food distributor. He and I had a brief chat. Two other former co workers from later years at Denny's (early y2k) are also working with me. And of all things a waitress I worked with back in the early 80's is also working with me now.

It is not as busy a place as I've worked in the past. In the past I've worked for some extremely busy demanding places and it required much more then I think I can handle today. There is a huge difference between 800 dinners a night and 200. Nonetheless I have validation that I can accomplish the demands of the business which is something I had feared in the past.

My greatest fear now is if I'm going to be able to afford to live on my take home pay. I can calculate all I want but the margins are thin. With my schedule being what it is. Day and night shifts and mid shifts it would be hard for me to find a second job. As I'm low on the totem pole it's not like I can write my own schedule.

So lots of positives and a glaring negative.

• Like 1

Glad it's mostly going good at least. I hope you actually get to stay there for an extended period of time. I know it really sucks not working when you need to. Good luck and hopefully, maybe, one day that old contact will lead you to another position. Would you leave the actual "chef" part of the food industry?