Your Ad Could Be Here

Pro Tools Launches New Purchase Model

You know, it feels soooo good to get things paid off and finally own them. We'll miss those days. I guess it will be decided for us that continuing to pay for things forever won't be a bad thing, because the good feeling of an "upgrade" will more than make up for it. 

Reminds me of the old Rolling Stones tune "You can always rent, what you want."

Edited by Just1L

Everyone seems to think that the pro capitalist movement in china started because of western intervention. It didn't. Under the Mao regime workers didn't even legally own their own teeth.  http://listen.sdpb.org/post/secret-document-transformed-china

When you technically can't own anything there becomes little incentive to work for anything.  At least with the apple model you still own the hardware however using it in a non standard form voids any warranty. (like jailbreaking an iphone.)  

Property Rights (originally land and then extended) were the foundation of the american free enterprise system and any seller who claims "sale" of a specified good releases rights of ownership to the recipient.  IMHO if the seller is not willing to sell said product and wave ownership rights then maybe they ought not sell it at all.

• Like 1

I'm thinking in the case of John Deere...the large farms buy those really expensive tractors and they probably never pay them off anyhow...even worse many farms went under because they couldn't make those huge payments. So it's probably viewed more like a lease even if it's a loan. When the equipment is close to payed off it's time for a new one again.........and I think many things are looked at like this now. I'm not saying its a good thing.

• Like 1

http://jalopnik.com/carmakers-want-to-make-working-on-your-car-illegal-beca-1699132210

The link in the article above is slightly different since it's not subscription based but in a way it's the same. Losing freedoms thanks to current technological advances (more importantly the ability to monitor everything through the internet). Advances that are supposed to give you more freedom. Think if you couldn't work or repair a washer, dryer or refrigerator without being fined. A simple fix to a washer will require a visit from the company and end up costing you way more than it should … eventually on top of your monthly payments. Maybe it'd work like a lease where you wouldn't have to pay for the fixes like auto leases … until all things are leased/rented and they need a way to make more money. I'm not against tech, just some of the ways it's being used and it's potential dark side. Hmm, did anyone know that about me??

Edited by Just1L
  • Like 1

I agree.  There is a huge difference between a "lease" and a purchase a subscription is a lease of service.

A tractor can have a very very long life if built right and maintained well. Which may be the source of the problem for tractor manufacturers. Farmer's issues have more to do with Monsanto pulling land grabs.

It's not just tractors. I'm without car and have been for a few years now simply because I can't afford to own one. When I did most of mine were used cars that had long since past their prime but were good transportation specials. Buying a car that I own as opposed to leasing one allowed me to save money by not having to go to a dealer for simple maintenance and repair which any reputable mechanic or I could take on myself. Why do I need to take a car to a dealership to put air in the tires or gas in the tank.  This is the path we would find ourselves in if such a ruling were allowed to stand. 

Unfortunately for me I need a car in order to work since I commute.....I had thoughts of writing a song about it once with lyrics something like ..."He headed up the asphalt snake once again into the abyss of organized insanity"..and I think the insanity is starting to rub off . I put a lot of miles on a car every year....so when it comes time to trade I don't have much :)

...but back on topic....I have more of a bittersweet taste in my mouth over the whole thing overall. I just heard that East West is going subscription on some of their product line. I like that the increased revenue goes toward a better product than I would have had otherwise. I like that with my DAW of choice it's more like a payment plan and I own the software after 12 installments....so this is a different thing because owning is important to me.

I think the bitter part of it for me is that my inner compass tells me it shouldn't be this way, that there is a better way, unfortunately this isn't the way it is...so this is a workaround...a fix if you will  to help all parties involved. These decisions were made to deal with problems that had crept up over time getting worse and worse.

As to if conspiracy people see this as a trend to take over the world....I see it as software companies trying to remain viable.

If you asked me if I thought the world was headed toward controlled  monopolization with smaller entities being swallowed into large vast controlling corporations.I would have to agree this is where we are headed or already are...that big brother is into everything we see say and do....yes I would agree. 

As a person who is in a tech repair area...I have seen trends in technology over the years that lead me to believe that us and our money are being sacrificed for corporate and government greed...that we are being  distanced from the products we use everyday in terms of servicability, customer support and spare parts. And we are all mostly" over a barrel" on it.

Edited by starise