Your Ad Could Be Here

What Got Me Out Of A Slump

Since my CD project was put on hold … again … I've been in a crappy mood and working on music has felt like a sad burden and waste of time. (A burden because I just can't stop the damn songs going on in my head). So this slump is different than from what people consider writers block, but a slump nonetheless. 

I've been trying to get out of this slump for a few weeks, but nothing worked. Until last night I came across my first recording I made when I realized I could actually record to my computer. Listening to it I remembered how stoked I was that I could do it. Even more stoked I could add other instruments to it and finally super stoked when I realized I could use my acoustic to play electric lead parts. Just remembering how great I thought it was to be able to do it has actually pulled me out of the slump and I now plan to get back to it and finish a song I'd been working on. So, if you're in a slump and haven't tried it yet, go back to that first or second recording you made that kind of started it all and see if it sparks anything. Since it did for me I thought I'd pass that idea along. And, for integrity's sake I posted the tune. It was done before I thought about using drums at all and just using the mic that is built-in to my computer. Nothing great but enough to get me back to the grind. :) Peace  

Edited by Just1L

Now that I have a car again....I'll be cruising the local blues jams.  My fingers have to heal (they are still very tender) And while it's not the music I prefer to play (I don't hate it but I'd rather be playing jazz) It will get me in the mood for possibly playing live again.

Oddly I'm getting rid of a bunch of guitars. My Parker, Godin's and possibly one of my jazz boxes (the Eddie Durham JX17) Sadly they are just clutter in my life.  I'm hoping with the money from the sales I can invest in upgrading my Fender Modern Player Plus Telecaster with Seymour Duncan pickups.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TapperMike said:

Oddly I'm getting rid of a bunch of guitars. My Parker, Godin's and possibly one of my jazz boxes (the Eddie Durham JX17) Sadly they are just clutter in my life.  I'm hoping with the money from the sales I can invest in upgrading my Fender Modern Player Plus Telecaster with Seymour Duncan pickups.

The JX17? It doesnt seem that long ago...

I'm surprised that you'd replace the Fender pickups Mike. I am looking for ways of getting a Fender sound without buying one.

15 hours ago, Just1L said:

Since my CD project was put on hold … again … I've been in a crappy mood and working on music has felt like a sad burden and waste of time. (A burden because I just can't stop the damn songs going on in my head). So this slump is different than from what people consider writers block, but a slump nonetheless. 

I've been trying to get out of this slump for a few weeks, but nothing worked. Until last night I came across my first recording I made when I realized I could actually record to my computer. Listening to it I remembered how stoked I was that I could do it. Even more stoked I could add other instruments to it and finally super stoked when I realized I could use my acoustic to play electric lead parts. Just remembering how great I thought it was to be able to do it has actually pulled me out of the slump and I now plan to get back to it and finish a song I'd been working on. So, if you're in a slump and haven't tried it yet, go back to that first or second recording you made that kind of started it all and see if it sparks anything. Since it did for me I thought I'd pass that idea along. And, for integrity's sake I posted the tune. It was done before I thought about using drums at all and just using the mic that is built-in to my computer. Nothing great but enough to get me back to the grind. :) Peace  

I am going with your suggestion. You are right about that 1st rush of enthusiasm.

16 hours ago, TapperMike said:

Now that I have a car again....I'll be cruising the local blues jams.  My fingers have to heal (they are still very tender) And while it's not the music I prefer to play (I don't hate it but I'd rather be playing jazz) It will get me in the mood for possibly playing live again.

Glad things are opening up for you now. Great to hear it.

7 hours ago, Rudi said:

I am going with your suggestion. You are right about that 1st rush of enthusiasm.

I hope it helps Rudy. I'm starting to think it may be short-lived as I've already started waxing and waning with enthusiasm and positivity. Guess it's because the things that brought me to that point are still present. 

I'm keeping the jx16 just getting rid of the JX17

The telecaster I have is CIC (Crafted in China) It's a fine guitar but the pickups are also CIC as such they don't have the output or character found in Fender pickups (American or Mexican) While the bridge in humbucker mode is okay. In coil tapped mode the output is considerably lower.  The neck pup also has a much lower output and there is no way to adjust the height.  All Three are noisy as all get up. I find myself playing in positions 2 and 4 most of the time.

I really really want to hotrod it a bit.

First and foremost the wiring.  It's a 5-way stratocaster type switch currently.  I want to convert that to a 7-way system.  If I convert the 5way to a 3way switch I'll get the true tele middle position back.  Then I intend to replace the current mini-toggle for another 3way switch.  Middle Only, Middle and N/B, N/B only.  That would give me 7 different variations out of the box.  I also want a Seymour Duncan triple shot pup ring for the bridge.  A triple shot ring on a four lead pickup allows one to select.  Both coils in series, Both coils in parallel, and either the front or the back coil as a single coil

So to recap.

Bridge only is four variations with the triple shot.

Bridge and neck is four variations with the triple shot.

Bridge and middle is four variations with the triple shot.

Bridge middle and neck is four variations with the triple shot.

Add one for the middle alone.

Add one for the middle and bridge.

Add one for the neck only

4+4+4+4+1+1+1  That's 19 different combinations from a three pickup guitar.

So the pickups....

I want SD stack for the neck position and middle positions. It's meaty without getting two dark and still looks like a tele neck pup

and I want a SD Stag Mag for the bridge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQC1GJLPuf4

I see.

I've just ordered a set of trad style Strat pickups + pots+cap+knobs etc all pre-wired (I'm such a wuss where wiring is concerned, I find it bewilderin) for my Washburn. I'll have to remove or mod the supplied pickguard and alter the washburn too, but at least I should get the sound I want. Meanwhile, I can continue to fret dress the washburn finally get rid of the noisy old electric components in there.

Way cool.

I just can't take the noise to much with my tele.  I sit in front of the monitor with my guitar facing the amp and the desktop computer sits under the desktop.  Those traditional single coils pick up everything.  It's tolerable (noise wise) if I'm further back away from my computer and point the guitar in a different direction.

I've replaced various guitar electronics before (pickups, switches, pots etc) It's just to easy to let someone else do it.  That's the deal I get when I go to favored guitar stores.  If I buy it they'll install it for free, often while I wait.