Your Ad Could Be Here

As they say in Italy- "Bon Jovi". I think.

Greg Monks

Hi, my name is Greg, and no, I'm not an alcoholic.

What I am is retired (writer/musician), and wondering what to do with a mountain of old songs.

The thing is, I'm not a songwriter, and have no idea what to do with the old tunes I've written over the decades. I'm not even sure what genre they belong to. I'm a classical/jazz brass/keyboard/bass-player, and the tunes in question are head-arrangements I've either jotted down or slapped together using a very old and outdated computer programme.

Most of the tunes that come to me are forgotten the same day, and usually come to me as I'm doing something dumb and repetitive, like mowing the lawn or working on the floor of the attic. A few days ago I sat down at the computer and used my primitive little computer programme to record the tune in question.

The lyrics are based on a bit of children' doggerel- Stare, stare, like a bear. The tune was a bit of stream-of-consciousness to go with the silly lyrics. In fact, the lyrics that pop into my head are usually inane stuff like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VJgmUuoQOU

Lyrics:

Stare, stare, like a bear,
I can see your underwear,
Stare, stare, stare . . .
Like a bear . . .

Like a bear . . .

I've been staring like a bear since we parted,
Left the air so thick and blue as you departed,
How you overturned your chair as you departed,
Blew apart your underwear when you farted,

Like a bear . . .
Underwear . . .

chorus (3 female singers)

Followed by a little ditty that should become another tune.

Now, as I writer I could easily come up with decent lyrics. BUT- I don't think there's a market for tunes like this in today's market. The stuff I come up with sounds to me like pop tunes from the 1950s, and no one is even remotely interested in 50s tunes these days.

And that's how I waste my time these days.