Your Ad Could Be Here

DUMP or KEEP

This is some drum beats that I have put together and would like to know if I should dump it or keep it. Please give it to me (tell me the truth) I can take it.

I call this: 

Beats Together:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tom, Thank very much for the reply.  I will keep it for future reference. I appreciate you posting my post back up to the top for members more qualified to share an opinion. 

Irwin

Hi Irwin

What are the purpose of your beats? As a resource for yourself for songs of your own? To supply producers with beats for their productions?

The beats, as they are, never settle in a groove... but then producers will look for:

• 1 measure, 2 measure, 4 measure loops
  • fills
  • a variety of measures with each set of drum sounds (which you have)
  • variations in the drum sounds

You have some of these elements, generally in 4 measure groups with 2 measure turn arounds played twice.

in addtion producers will loook for:

• some standard beats
  • some more unusual beats as varieties on the standard beats
  • a good groove, beats that flow

As a rule of thumb, the more niche, the further from standard, the more limited the audience.

Looking at your beats, rather than the almost constant changes stuck together, think about presentation for producers... ie take a beat create a 1 measure version. Create a 2 measure version with a slight difference between measure 1 and measure 2. I suggest adding or removing one stroke on one of the drums or cymbals. Now create a 4 measure version that builds on the 2 measure version, and in measure 4 incorporate a fill in measure 4. Create an alternate 1 measure fill and 2 measure fill specifically for this beat.

On beat construction, I suggest looking at the function of each instrument within a drum kit. What is the purpose(s) of a bass drum, a snare drum, hi-hats etc. Even industrial kits will replace the function of a standard drum, like for like. A real drummer understands exactly the purposes of these instruments. In fact, Tom (above) has created some excellent video lessons for drummers, but the key concepts are there for non-drummers to learn.

Next you need to be clear about how producers will use your beats. If you have created your own songs using loops you will have a good idea of what you used and why, and that is a great starting point. If not, I recommend you get a hold of some drum loops, a loop library, and you create some music. Soon you will grasp common usage and the limitations of the loops you have, what is missing, what you would like to have had available etc.

If you are not creating for producers, but are instead simply demonstrating the beats you are constructing for your own music, then there are some issues. Mainly that nothing settles in a groove. It is always changing and the fundamentals change, not just embellishments.

Sound wise, I wasn't overly impressed or unimpressed. It was less appealing as the mix wasn't quite right and there was some delay/reverb in the mix. As a producer I would want clean sounds. I can always add reverb/delay/phase etc, but I cannot remove it easily, if at all.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

john

• 4 weeks later...

Sure John, your comment and advice above helps a lot. I think you said everything you at to say to make me do better.

Thank you

Irwin

• Like 1