Your Ad Could Be Here

Help with CV Piano Wanted - not a pirate!

Dear Anyone.

I downloaded the legit. version of Tascam CV Piano onto my XP SP3 computer and tried to install it.  The installer told me I needed SP2 and exited, which was odd because SP3 INCLUDES SP2, no? I mean I downloaded SP2 and tried to install that so I could instal the piano but SP2 wouldn't instal because I had SP3.  So I tried in Safe Mode, no joy. 

Then I opened the zipfile and examined the contents, found the .DLL which I assume is the VST, put it in my VST folder and it came up looking pretty - but with no sounds.  I've got 16 little boxes saying 'Click to load....' but when I click on any of them nothing happens.  Now the files that downloaded for this are as follows:- Continuous Velocity Piano - Full Modeled.gvi.  Continuous Velocity Piano - Full Modeled.gx99.  GADL.INI Configuration Settings. CVPiano-GVI-Modeled-Setup.exe (that's the installation program that doesn't believe I have SP2)

There's a folder labeled Plugin that contains:- Copy of nfx.dll, Copy of CVPiano-GVI-Modeled.dll, Copy of CVPiano-GVI-Modeled.dpm, Copy of CVPiano-GVI-Modeled.dpm.rsr, Copy of CVPIANO-GVI-Modeled.exe GVI Hosting Shell, Copy of CVPiano-Modeled.gvk.  There's another folder called LCC that contains Synchrosoft Licence Control Setup (no idea what that is.)

I downloaded the whole thing from VST4Free.com so I'm ASSUMING it's legit.  I've checked the TASCAM site and they're no longer supporting it.  If it's NOT, I'll just delete it.  What I need to know is which of all the above listed files contains the actual piano sounds and how the heck do I get them into the piano shell!  (Remember, clicking on al the little LOAD boxes on the shell don't exactly do a lot.)

Conversely, if nobody knows the answer, can anyone tell me of a decent piano that MUST be CC Controllable (CC7 for volume, MUST have velocity control etc., balance would be nice,  MIDI Learnable's fine.)  and hopefully have nice rich low notes (I keep getting kiddypianos that sound like musical boxes!)  I know you can spend hundreds on a piano that's got thousands of samples and takes up about 20 gig of hard drive - that's a bit overkill for me right now.  I'd be happy with something that sounded vaguely Richard Clayderman/Frank Mills that I could put strings behind! (But a rich lower notes end would be nice....) 

Yours hopefully - sorry the first post's a long one

Chris.

A few things of note.

Are you using a Windows computer?  If you are running Win7,8,10 you may need to run it in compatibility mode  The reason why I ask is that.... Some folks run xp via parallels or VMware and it screws up the file paths.

Also XP, Vista are being discontinued.  If you are having issues and Windows XP is the source of the fault don't expect MS to release a bug fix.  Sometimes during updates new bugs are introduced.  MS catches them later and fixes them.

A .dll file does not contain always contain all the information required to run a plugin.  Sometimes it is used as a reference to other files that must be run through the .dll  Which is why all the files from the zip need to be stored in the same pathway as are stored.

As memory serves me (too lazy to look) the Tascam Piano is 1GIG.  That's impossible to load into a 32bit OS ram and then via your daw/host.  What they used was "Stream from disk"  Stream from disk was very unstable.  MS protected itself with later builds that didn't allow stream from disk.  Tascam wasn't the only one affected.  Emu Emulator X comes to mind as I had that and many others from the emu / dsf family which simply didn't work after shucking out the big bucks

Regarding CC Volume / Expression.  Any decent vsti has both midi learn and midi select.  Right click on a CC control and then you can assign which CC you want to use (remember to save).  Most (not all) decent controllers also should have a access to setup which CC's are affected by which controls.

There are better ways to create any virtual instrument these days that don't require gigs of ram.

Expensive sounding pianos will cost.  That's all there is to it.  It costs a great deal of money to design and program.  That being said http://www.supremepiano.com/product/piano1.html  Supreme Piano offers an adequate (not great) free virtual yamaha C7.  No it doesn't have all the richness and features of their pay version.  (scroll down the page)  

4 hours ago, ALOPRODUCTIONZ said:

Drop me your email and ill send you ivory steinway piano best piano iv used so far

Dear AloProductionz.

Thank you very much, as well as everyone else, I'll try them all!

My E-mail's ulrichburke@hotmail.com.

Looking forwards to trying Ivory Steinway! 

To TapperMike.  I'm using Windows XP because it's the only OS my music software likes (QSE Level 2).  I've tried running the installer for CV Tascam in 98 emulation and 200 Emulation, and instaling in safe mode - no joy.  It doesn't believe I have SP2 for some reason.  Now assuming ONE of the other files I've listed is the actual sounds - how do I get them into the thing to play them as clicking on the 'Click Here to Load' boxes don't work? Conversely that question may be redundant after I've tried out the other pianos here. 

Thanks for your help - still trying to get my head around all this stuff!  Incidentaly - and at the risk of everyone going 'AARGH!! WHY didn't he say this BEFORE!?!' and chucking stuff at me - I've got Sampletank Free (which is pretty much the full version these days) but no instruments for it much (apart from Miroslav Strings which I've been battling to control for years, that's why I stick with Edirol, at least those SOUND like strings straight from the box) and something called Kontakt which again I don't know much about but is supposed to have good sounds for it if you understand it....

I'll try out both the pianos mentioned and layer 'em up in the lower notes, see if that helps.  I used to be the proud owner of a Bechstein Grand once, that's kinda spoiled me for synth piano sounds I guess (OK, it's not a Bosundorfer and it needed retuning virtualy every time you played it and I retuned it with a car socket set - and I can see you all cringing at that thought now....)

Thanks for your help.  I'll try your piano with great expectation, Aloproductionz. 

Chris.