Your Ad Could Be Here

a little help plese

• Noob

hi my name's Nathan. I am a huge fan of music. I recently started to write my own music but I have a bit of confusion when it comes to that. I'll try to use an analogy, a painter wants to pant but they only have seven colours to chose from. ok that's a bad analogy. I guess what im asking is, when your in a key you have seven notes and 7 chords one of those is diminished. the painter can change keys, they can also use modes like Lydian, mixoldian, dorian, harmonic minor, melodic minor, and they can also build a harmony of of each of those scales. am I missing something because I wonder if that's enough ? I guess my question  is that enough to paint your picture. is there something I mnot getting or is a confidence thing ? is there more that I don't know, generally is that it ? unless you think about the pentatonic scale that leaves out those nasty notes. likea tri tone or a flat nine up an octive becase it dissonant. but dissonance is a real thing because if you take a chord with a c as the third and you play a c# it will sound harsh and crap..  but back to my original question 7 notes ? and the circle of fifth going right is moving keys up a fifth and going left is going up by fourths.

Edited by nate23
  • Like 1

• Noob

maybe seven notes are enough. I guess it depends how you would use them. if you think about it there are probably a million combinations. and if you get bored you could just change keys, at lest that's how I think about it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...