Your Ad Could Be Here

What are you getting yourself for Christmas?

No plans to get me anything either.

I will probably wait until after xmas to go for the variax. There is only one (probably the one I tried out) at PMT now (formerly Nevada).

No gigs in the pipeline due to band being a man down at present, Theres plenty of stuff to be going on with.though, I'm recording. In fact Im in danger of overloading the recorder. I've had a couple of overload warnings on the current tune.

How much do we need more stuff at xmas really anyway?

I get nothing for Christmas and I give neither.  December and January are the hardest times of the year for me.  Last month I saved a kitten from the wild.  Tonnes of shots, veterinary visits,  Toys to keep him happy and.... Got jacked around by my apt complex with a huge increase in rent as well as a huge security deposit increase.   The little fellow ran out the door and never came back.  I posted wanted signs posted on craigslist and spent 6~8 hours a day searching for him over the last 3 weeks.  Yes, he's chipped.  No sight no sign.  I just hope a good family has found him.

1 minute ago, MonoStone said:

Nothing for myself but considering asking my wife to get me a budget bass guitar since i don't have a bass. But maybe budget is a waste of money... Maybe sticking to daw bass is better... Anyone tried gear4music own brand? Anything else would be too expensive to ask for... 

Dek - get a Roli Lightblock, it is a small midi type controller with 5d touch. I've got one for xmas and tried it out early. It is what I used on my latest track to make the modulation type sound with the synth - all you do is move your finger sideways while playing a note. You should have a look on YouTube to get an idea what it can do.

6 minutes ago, MonoStone said:

Nothing for myself but considering asking my wife to get me a budget bass guitar since i don't have a bass. But maybe budget is a waste of money... Maybe sticking to daw bass is better... Anyone tried gear4music own brand? Anything else would be too expensive to ask for... 

Two years ago I bought a $100 dollar used bass. I can't even recall the brand (even though I played it just two days ago) but I know it wasn't that good of one. One thing I can say without a doubt is it is EXTREMELY fun to play. I never knew how much fun it was to play bass. I still suck at it but even rolling along with a nice easy groove is highly pleasurable. So, on that note, for the fun of playing alone, I say go for it. You can always go back to the daw bass if needed. Depends on which way you lean though as far as instruments go.

Edited by Just1L

2 hours ago, Richard Tracey said:

Dek - get a Roli Lightblock, it is a small midi type controller with 5d touch. I've got one for xmas and tried it out early. It is what I used on my latest track to make the modulation type sound with the synth - all you do is move your finger sideways while playing a note. You should have a look on YouTube to get an idea what it can do.

Looks like fun Richard! but I already have a good controller keyboard with pads etc... I'm just thinking about a real bass, even though I can play bass fine on my keyboard... I just fancy trying a real one.

2 hours ago, Just1L said:

Two years ago I bought a $100 dollar used bass. I can't even recall the brand (even though I played it just two days ago) but I know it wasn't that good of one. One thing I can say without a doubt is it is EXTREMELY fun to play. I never knew how much fun it was to play bass. I still suck at it but even rolling along with a nice easy groove is highly pleasurable. So, on that note, for the fun of playing alone, I say go for it. You can always go back to the daw bass if needed. Depends on which way you lean though as far as instruments go.

Yep, I imagine it to be fun... and I imagine I might come up with bass lines that I wouldn't on the keyboard/daw... if the bass is playable! And if I'm not too crap!

I'll look at reviews 

• Like 1

Bass is always fun for me to play,,,when I have one around.  That being said the basses I've owned I would never record with.  That and after awhile they tear me up.

A buddy of mine had one of those guild rubber string basses way back when.  If the action were a little lower I would have bought it off of him.   It's the original concept from which Kala refined for the U-Bass

Ubasses come in solid and hollow and Kala sells different types of strings.  So you aren't saddled with an upright bass tone if you don't want to be.  They also are quite affordable on Ebay.

Another thing to consider if you are looking for a bass or alternative string instrument is...

Artiphon INSTRUMENT 1  http://artiphon.com/

Honestly I like my baby z more then one of these

$1,200-$1,400 for the gold and diamond in Des Moines, so just kidding around.  I was quite shocked at the rise in concert tickets recently and didn't know how far out of the loop I was.  I don't know if we will go see the show even though I'm a life long fan of both.  Hard to tell since that is during my sons baseball season and that takes up most of my money during that time frame since he's on a traveling team. 

How'd you do on the tickets?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, McnaughtonPark said:

Kidding aside, I think that's a great gift.  She opens it on Christmas and get's to look forward to it for 5 months.  You've given her something that she'll think about, something that on a bad day she may use to cheer herself up.  Nice work. 

She said she's been cranking Tom Petty all morning. 

• Like 1

I don't know if he'll play this in St. Louis but I love Southern Accents

There's a southern accent, where I come from
The young 'uns call it country
The Yankees call it dumb
I got my own way of talkin'
But everything is done, with a southern accent
Where I come from

Now that drunk tank in Atlanta's
Just a motel room to me
Think I might go work Orlando
If them orange groves don't freeze