Your Ad Could Be Here

Rare to come across

IRL I'm actually happily surprised when I see musicians under 30 regardless of gender.   Used to be you couldn't walk down the street without tripping over one.

That being said I do see a rise over the years of male parental support for girls.  (Fathers and Daughters) into what ever peaks their interests.  In years gone by fathers would not encourage a musicians life onto any girl unless it was classical music.  There is a lot of sexism on both sides that keep women out of bands.

With regards to mixing... Most mixing in the early days was earned as a part of being a roadie in a band and carrying heavy gear. I threw my back out a few times hauling around stuff.  I could be making money as a sound man but it wouldn't last long.  I wouldn't wish that job on anyone except the mightiest. 

When I was going to audio engineering school there were a number of female students who were dissuaded from actually doing hands on work.  Setting up mic's running the mixer etc. If they held their ground and fought for it then they might get the time on the boards they deserved in order to build skills.  Sadly this would go out the window when they entered the work force.  Usually the women would be relegated to secretarial / clerical work.  I can understand their disillusion with the field.  even with years on the job I was still always a second arranging the room and rarely if ever got to work the mixer. That being said at least I got to arrange the room.

Edited by TapperMike
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, TapperMike said:

Setting up mic's running the mixer etc. If they held their ground and fought for it then they might get the time on the boards they deserved in order to build skills.  Sadly this would go out the window when they entered the work force.  Usually the women would be relegated to secretarial / clerical work.  I can understand their disillusion with the field.  even with years on the job I was still always a second arranging the room and rarely if ever got to work the mixer. That being said at least I got to arrange the room.

I did those things in college, cable, speaker, stage, monitors and snake etc. along with general stage mule for clubs' house sound. Some very famous artist. I got to play with the big board. But No secretary job, afterwards, went into information systems instead.  Ha ha... no women at that time..

:)

Peggy

Edited by Peggy
  • Like 1

When did you go to school and where?   I went to a non accredited now defunct school The Detroit Institute for Recording Engineering back in the early 80's It was staffed with people who cut their teeth working at Motown.  Specs Howard were quite a bit more liberal at that time.

30 minutes ago, TapperMike said:

When did you go to school and where?   I went to a non accredited now defunct school The Detroit Institute for Recording Engineering back in the early 80's It was staffed with people who cut their teeth working at Motown.  Specs Howard were quite a bit more liberal at that time.

I was at the University of Kansas, i wasn't in the music programs. I was studying biology. 😁

One of my room mates at the time, was going to The Recording Workshop Chillicothe, Ohio.

But for me Engineering... I'm self-taught with a lot of help and support

And luck.

Did you learn "The Motown Sound"?

Edited by Peggy

5 minutes ago, Jenn said:

Are you doing something with biology now...??? Cause that's what I'm in school for right now more or less

My emphasis was Paleo botany ;)  

Just love it still. now I'm into Paleo Indian Bone tools 😁

What is your study?

Edited by Peggy

23 minutes ago, Jenn said:

I'm doing marine science .....

Awesome field!!  Tough, nephew went that way, undergrad. Got his PhD last yr. Bet you love it. Have fun, music goes great with science brains 😁 

Mixing too, haha

1 minute ago, Jenn said:

I'm not planning on doing anything with this major even after it's been incredibly tough.. I hate it :)

It will stay with you anyway... maybe even start loving it again some day.

I went another direction too ;)