Your Ad Could Be Here

I was looking/listening to some of my privately marked music (often songs in limbo waiting on some particular element).  I happened upon quite an old lyric/melody that I had written to a loop in PP's (the other PP) songwriting class through coursera.  I really like it, but only posted it for a short time, then marked it private.  When I went through the class, the instructor emphasized that it was about learning to put melody to the loop based on the "feel" you wanted for the song lyrics.  We were not being graded on vocals or anything, so at the time, I recorded it, when my voice cracked in a spot, I just left it.  I would have re-recorded it better later if I knew that I could use the loop outside the class, but I don't know that and so never followed through with anything.  I really like the loop, too.

I'd like to do SOMETHING with it, but I just really love the loop.  Any suggestions???

On 10/18/2017 at 4:41 PM, Pahchisme Plaid said:

I was looking/listening to some of my privately marked music (often songs in limbo waiting on some particular element).  I happened upon quite an old lyric/melody that I had written to a loop in PP's (the other PP) songwriting class through coursera.  I really like it, but only posted it for a short time, then marked it private.  When I went through the class, the instructor emphasized that it was about learning to put melody to the loop based on the "feel" you wanted for the song lyrics.  We were not being graded on vocals or anything, so at the time, I recorded it, when my voice cracked in a spot, I just left it.  I would have re-recorded it better later if I knew that I could use the loop outside the class, but I don't know that and so never followed through with anything.  I really like the loop, too.

I'd like to do SOMETHING with it, but I just really love the loop.  Any suggestions???

I'm baffled... what loop? 

Going by memory, I think it was a rock ballad loop.  The song I wrote was called, “Just You”.

On 21 October 2017 at 2:28 AM, Pahchisme Plaid said:

Going by memory, I think it was a rock ballad loop.  The song I wrote was called, “Just You”.

Sorry I'd need to hear it to suggest anything. If you can post the loop maybe I or someone might have a suggestion.

I'm still a bit confused but perhaps that's just me :)  I'll try to think of something helpful if you post it.

Ahright, I’ll briefly post (when I have the computer rather than iPod).  I’ll not keep it here, though cause I don’t know who/how to credit the loop.  It will be temporary.

10 hours ago, Pahchisme Plaid said:

Ahright, I’ll briefly post (when I have the computer rather than iPod).  I’ll not keep it here, though cause I don’t know who/how to credit the loop.  It will be temporary.

Ah I see. If it's a loop you won't have the rights to use, then maybe there's not much you can do with it other than practice putting words and melody to it or whatever. Again it depends what the loop is, who made it etc... If it's part of a recording by another artist which wasn't intended to be used as a loop then it's not right to use it for anything other than practice, and also might get you in a bit of bother. If it was made to be used as a loop then you should be able to find out the details from the place/person you got it and in that case it's likely less or no issue.

You need to work that out before anyone can start giving you ideas that you can actually go ahead with.

I might be able to use the loop, but since everything on coursera is responded to via computerized prompts, it’s very hard to get hold of an actual person.

• Editors

I'm curious to hear the loop too. I've done one of the Pat's courses on Coursera as well though I don't remember this assignment nor did I completely finish all the activities. I was more of a spectator extracting information during the course. 

But if it's a loop of a chord progression or something, you should be able to use it. I'm talking about the progression though and not the specific loop itself. You can re-record the progression or that loop yourself later. Maybe even just reinterpret it once you finish the song. 

On 10/23/2017 at 12:09 PM, Mahesh said:

I'm curious to hear the loop too. I've done one of the Pat's courses on Coursera as well though I don't remember this assignment nor did I completely finish all the activities. I was more of a spectator extracting information during the course. 

But if it's a loop of a chord progression or something, you should be able to use it. I'm talking about the progression though and not the specific loop itself. You can re-record the progression or that loop yourself later. Maybe even just reinterpret it once you finish the song. 

It was actually write the lyrics, select a loop that fits the feel that you want for the lyrics, then sing/speak to the loop (which then developed into a melody), record it using Audacity and post as the class assignment.  

Yeah about that.  I

used to write / record loops for money.  It was a lot of money for me at that time and I surrendered all rights to the company producing them.  Or should I say distributing.  Most all companies who release royalty free already give away all rights.  Those that CC or shareware licenses usually get caught holding the bag.   Sony did this thing once that they allowed you to use the loops but not to release them or Sony would sue.  Commercial release products  Such as major acts/labels or tv/radio/ commercial advertising just don''t go there.

About Midi.  I used a midi backing track of a song and only played a small portion of it in agreement with the fair use act.  I ran into the same issue as did Adam Neely

When I try to post it, it says Soundcloud does not allow embedding of that video.  (Weird because its not a video)

4 minutes ago, Pahchisme Plaid said:

When I try to post it, it says Soundcloud does not allow embedding of that video.  (Weird because its not a video)

What is the file format? It may be how they have prepared it for use. It is a music loop, but what you are given is the loop in video format to play back, especially if it’s from an online course.

Lets try this again.  I thought I could put it back to private, but nope.

23 minutes ago, Pahchisme Plaid said:

Lets try this again.  I thought I could put it back to private, but nope.

Kelly, I really like that and think your voice suits that style of song - obviously there a couple of parts to work on with the vocal - but the song itself sounded really good and the vocal melody was a very good fit. To be honest, that loop wouldn’t be too hard to do something similar to fit your idea for the song.

Thank you, WAS NOT HERE!  That was completely unexpected!  A double whammy unexpected!  I very much appreciate you tracking that down for me! 🙃🙃🙃

6 hours ago, Richard Tracey said:

Kelly, I really like that and think your voice suits that style of song - obviously there a couple of parts to work on with the vocal - but the song itself sounded really good and the vocal melody was a very good fit. To be honest, that loop wouldn’t be too hard to do something similar to fit your idea for the song.

Thank you, Richard.  I love hearing that!

Yippee!  I got permission to use the loop!  What techh-savvy mixer person would have an enormous heart and help me put this thing together how it should be done???  I be jumpin' with joy!

Archived