Your Ad Could Be Here

Last night I decided drummers should never be given a microphone - no offense Tom

I went to see Jimmy Herring with his band The Invisible Whip and John McLaughlin with The 4th Dimension last night. Outstanding show! Each band did their own sets and then both bands came out together for a 3rd set. All fantastic musicians. The only down side of the show was The 4th Dimension drummer, Ranjit Barot and the keyboardist/drummer Gary Husband, did a duel drum solo, both very good drummers, but....BUT the drummer Barot scat/sang for what seemed like 2 to 3 minutes during the solo. I wrote it off ... to I guess you could say artistic license, but then he had his own drum solo where he proceeded to do more of the same. I could tell by looking around, my wife and myself were not the only ones waiting for it to end. Then during the 3rd set, the Invisible Whips drummer and he had a short duel solo, where he elaborated further! If I was my younger less restrained self, our seats were closer, and this old man had his younger pitching arm, my water bottle may have been sent down the lane toward home plate. Other than that, the show was fantastic!

• Editors

I've seen Barot play live around here. Was it singing really? I've seen him do Konokol which is the South Indian language for percussion (Rhytmic solfegge) which is drawn great attention among the Jazz community for its way of handling any type of complexity of time signature. Something like this:

McLaughlin digs that as well and a good interest has been earned because of it.

I'm not sure if you're not talking about that. If not, never mind. I'd agree with you if he was actually singing/scatting.

Yeah that's it! We took it as scat. Though in your remarks and in the video, it easily apparent it is used to assist keeping time, but this came off as more of a call and response type of interaction. It really didn't go over well. From the crowd around us, it didn't seem like it did. For me personally it took away from the show. He and all the musicians were very well accomplished and everyone had time in the spot light, the show was fantastic musically. From a guitarist point of view Jimmy Herring and John McLaughlin were great. Maybe I am just musically unsophisticated. I can live with that. Thanks for the input. It seemed to be more of scat type of scenario. Maybe in the heat of the performance he got, lets say over enthusiastic or maybe the sound guy had his mic to loud in the mix. Thanks Mahesh.

Ive seen McLaughlin before but not Jimmy Herring. Does the new band mean he has split with Widespread Panic?

Rudi - I haven't heard that. He just seems to always have more than one project going. I heard him called the busiest guitarist out there. I seen him tour for his solo album Subject to Change Without Notice, if your familiar its pretty much all over the place musically, while in between WSP tours. Then this summer I seen him with them. The Invisible Whip is jazz fusion. The man seems to switch gears on a dime. What ever it is he's doing, I haven't been disappointed yet. I guess if you check WSPs upcoming dates, it would let you know.

Sep 28, 2015

13 hours ago, Jim622 said:

Rudi - I haven't heard that. He just seems to always have more than one project going. I heard him called the busiest guitarist out there. I seen him tour for his solo album Subject to Change Without Notice, if your familiar its pretty much all over the place musically, while in between WSP tours. Then this summer I seen him with them. The Invisible Whip is jazz fusion. The man seems to switch gears on a dime. What ever it is he's doing, I haven't been disappointed yet. I guess if you check WSPs upcoming dates, it would let you know.

Sep 28, 2015

It was a thoughtless reactive suggestion. I appologise.

My only mitigation is that JH/WSP are not well known in the uk.

I understand. They are one of favorite bands right now. My wife was not impressed with their recorded music much, she says they sound to country. I kept telling her, that I keep hearing how they are known for their live shows. She enjoyed the hell out of their show  when I drug her along. She said they are like 2 different bands. They're music goes to a different level. I hope you get a chance to see them.

Archived