Your Ad Could Be Here

Your Musical Output for 2017

chumpy

Now that 2017 is nearly behind us, how about we take a moment to reflect on what we've accomplished this year musically?

2017 was another productive year for us. We cranked out 20 songs, in large part due to the online competitions we competed in this year. We won 4/5 of the SongFights we participated in, as well as winning SpinTunes #13, and we made it to round 4 of Nur Ein XXI. We also did three music videos this year. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, john said:

What is in your plans for 2018?

As is traditional, we're going to be one of the judges for SpinTunes #14 (which I think kicks off in January) which means writing a lot of song reviews. There could be upwards of 30 songs at the start of the contest, which is quite a lot of work. We're going to be producing a podcast tentatively titled Two Jerks, One Vote where we discuss the songs and ultimately rank them for our official vote. We're also going to attempt to write a few "shadow" entries for the contest, which folks who aren't officially competing can do just to get their songs heard but not voted on. I expect the first few months of 2018 are going to be super busy for us.

I think we're going to take another crack at Nur Ein in April, and hopefully make a better showing. Even if we're eliminated early, we made one of our favorite songs from 2017 (which the judges hated) from a Nur Ein challenge, so winning isn't everything.

How about other folks, how was your 2017?

• Like 3

Wow! You've been really busy, Chumpy. Congrats on such a productive 2017 to you and your co-writer! I was able to hear a few of your submissions to Nur Ein this year and it was fun to hear what you guys came up with on such tight deadlines. Looking forward to hearing more from you's in 2018 :)

My year wasn't so bad either, I'm still going through a major learning phase with electronic music production/composition and all that good stuff but this year's been quite productive, for sure.

Here's to a bigger, better and healthier, 2018! 🍻

Ken

• Like 2

Hi Chumpy. I'm a new guy here and my 2017 was not bad but not so interesting either :-)

I hust wanted to tell you that this is the first time I have a soundcloud page in my list of favorites. Jerkatorium has really been a surprise to me. You guys are genius.

I don't  like to listen to too many songs at the same time. I'm stuck with these 3:

- A sense of the absurd 
- Regime Change
- Flamethrower

I really think that your songs deserve high level production and great videos. 

Wish you a bright 2018. Hope you come to Italy.

Roberto

• Like 2

On 1/4/2018 at 1:37 PM, robertolabruna said:

Hi Chumpy. I'm a new guy here and my 2017 was not bad but not so interesting either :-)

I hust wanted to tell you that this is the first time I have a soundcloud page in my list of favorites. Jerkatorium has really been a surprise to me. You guys are genius.

Hey Roberto, thanks for the kinds words, I'm really pleased you like our music! Also, welcome to Songstuff! I've read a lot of great stuff here from other aspiring music makers and have learned a lot. The song critique forums in particular are an invaluable resource, both for your music and your skills in thinking critically about folks' music.

Hope to see ya around!

• Like 1

Good to hear folks are having some fun and success doing their own music.

My 2017 output in terms of finished and produced songs was only 3 (Gone, Monster, OCD) but I did upgrade my studio somewhat (I got a Mojave tube condensor for my main mic, a Hairball Audio Lola preamp, and a dbx 560 compressor for tracking) and streamlined my workflow. This whole process of doing everything from start to finish is challenging, and so much to learn but it definitely pays off (slowly!). I have learned the hard way that the performance and initial recording is BY FAR the most important thing in getting good results. Fixing it in the mix is a myth (although judicious editing is certainly beneficial).

I did pen a few songs, and I have a dozen or so guitary thingies that will lead to songs, so wasn't a bad year overall. I will be doing new arrangements and mixes of some old tunes, and adding a few new ones this year.

Seeyas on the boards. Viva 2018!

Peace,

TC

Edited by TCgypsy
  • Like 1