Your Ad Could Be Here

Playing Soft Synths On Stage

For those of you just getting into computer music recording a vsti is a term used to describe a virtual instrument. The better virtual instruments sound indiscernible from their hardware cousins. The term DAW is short for Digital Audio Workstation. The DAW is the program you record into using a computer.

Chances are, if you have a computer loaded with a DAW it has the capability to host vsti instruments. Many use vsti daily and don't understand whats happening under the hood. 

Since vsti is the most popular format  I'll concentrating on it here. There are a few other proprietary formats such as AAX format made specifically for Pro Tools software and the core audio format commonly called Audio Units of AU for short. The reason I bring this up is you may be held to your specific format depending on the daw you use. Most software instrument makers offer all of the formats for the products. Usually a selection process can be done at installation time. In a Windows environment AAX and vst formats are offered. Reaper is the only DAW that has a different setup with regard to using multiple formats. They seem to have some kind of cross platform Mac/PC setup. I'm not extremely familiar with Reaper so maybe someone else can comment on that.

Yet another decision that needs to be made when installing a new software instrument is whether it should be 32 bit, 64 bit, or both. As of this writing many DAW makers are getting away from 32 bit altogether. Cubase the company who developed vst technology will only allow 64 bit plug ins and instruments in their most recent version. Ableton is beta testing version 10 right now. When it comes out it will only accept 64 bit plug ins and instruments. Others are sure to follow.

The default installation folders for 32 bit plugins in a PC are found under Program files X86> vst  The 32 bit installation will create a folder if one doesn't exist under that X86 folder. It will always be under X86 for anything 32bit. 64 bit files will install usually under a folder called Steinberg 64bit or Steinberg VST under  program files. The  two designations are X86 program files>vst and Program files.

There is both good and not so good concerning the transition forn 32 bit to 64 bit. In a 64 bit OS some DAWS would need to use a "bridge" as it's called to make a 32 bit plugin work in a 64 bit OS. In particular there was an application called " bit bridge" that allowed 32 bit plugins to work in a 64 bit system on a PC running 64 bit architecture. For the most part this works pretty well and allows us to use older 32 bit plug ins we could not have used otherwise. In most DAWS you didn't know bit bridge was at work. You simply loaded the plug in and used it.

The downside is that some of the older 32 bit plugins didn't always agree with the DAW and would literally freeze it up. In fact, many issues blamed on the DAW were really plugin issues. Find the bad plugin and everything is fine. The other disadvantage is if you only owned the 32 bit version of a program you will be out of luck using it in a closed 64 bit system.

When you get the 32/64 bit bit issue out of the way then it's time to look at the options available for live performance.. If you only want the capability to play synths on stage live you really don't need a full DAW for that unless it is also running backing tracks that you might need or want to change at the gig.  Initially this was done with a hardware unit that was basically a computer built into a rack format. The OS in the computer was made specifically for running vsti . The advantage was clear. It was much faster than trying to play vsti from the slower OS made for run of the mill computers. Latency was much lower resulting in synths that not only had more capability  than their hardware counter parts, but had super fast key to sound response times. Probably the most famous company to do do this was Muse Receptor. You can still find these for sale. The company has moved away from the hardware business of late. Here is their most recent company statement-  http://www.museresearch.com/index.php

If this interests you, then you might also like the V-Machine. A less complex stand alone hardware unit. 

With the advent of faster more robust computers  there have been several very well made software programs designed for playing your synths on stage with a laptop. Some of these programs  work best with a keyboard controller dedicated to it and others can use any keyboard with midi. Small software programs I call "wrappers" designed to access all of your vsti plugins. One of the better known programs for this is called Cantabile. There are different versions of this program. One version even plays backing tracks. Mac users have had a program called Mainstage for a long time based off of Logic X.Not nearly as complex as Cantabile but it gets the job done if you simply need to stack a few synths to play live.

Among the offerings that use or prefer a hardware controller are Akai VIP software and controllers and Native instruments vst wrapper called Komplete Kontrol. This is a  proprietary system tied to Native Instruments controllers. One thing NI fails to make clear though is their Komplete Kontrol "wrapper" can be used without an NI controller albeit not as well. Akai VIP is similar to Cantabile in that it has a version that is independent of hardware controllers. That version of VIP software is more expensive.

I think if I were looking for a really good way to control vsti synths on stage it would be using Cantabile or An Akai controller tied to my vsti in VIP software. The way VIP works so well with their controllers is reason enough to  go that route. The fact that VIP can be loaded into your DAW makes the deal look even sweeter. Probably the largest drawback for a pianist is the lack of an 88 key controller. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I haven't seen an Akai 88 key controller. Cantabile is used regularly by keyboardists in large well known acts. In addition it has a lot of support. For me this would be a toss up decision given these facts. The fact that Cantabile allows for backing tracks makes it very attractive to the solo player. Some users have bought portable pocket computers and mounted these to their rig stands. Then all you need is a small monitor. All control can be had though midi.

This isn't only a thing for keyboard players. Remember vst and vsti are also loaded with bass and guitar programs. A guitarist could leave their heavy rig home and take a laptop or a portable hardware box and get great results.

Good information Tim. I've thought about what I would need to do to get up on stage and play my tunes and I know I'd need help with some instruments and this would seem the direction go to. Unless I could get actual musicians to play with me. This will be a great reference.

1 hour ago, starise said:

This isn't only a thing for keyboard players. Remember vst and vsti are also loaded with bass and guitar programs. A guitarist could leave their heavy rig home and take a laptop or a portable hardware box and get great results.

This part makes me think that one day, when you go to a "concert", you'll look on stage and the band will look similar to this:

y97mtesq

Another thing to remember when playing live, you can use a NI Maschine hardware to control most of the sounds, beats etc. If you use Abelton, then a Push 2 would do the same thing, although you can use Maschine well with Abelton as well.

Randy, a lot of bands are using computers and vst’s now as it is cheaper, easier and quicker for gigging.

The new NI Komplete Kontrol keyboards are used by a lot of musicians now for live as everything is in front of you on the screens and easily controllable.

Funny!

JustiL lots of guitarists are using either a wired or a bluetooth foot pedal like the ones offered by IK multimedia.

Another option for both guitarists and keys players is to use an iOS device and a what Apple calls a camera kit to link your iOS device to hardware. After that it's a simple matter to download the apps you want. Many midi controllers are made to work with iOS. I would check to make sure the one you want will work if this is something you might do. No reason why you can't combine methods. Maybe have one synth playing through and iPad and another one going through a laptop or using stand alone sounds.

I would say if you envison a relatively simple setup on stage iPad might be the way to go. There are apps that will play backing track in multitrack format and even send a click to the band.

For those with a Macbook, Mainstage is only 29.95. or go the Ableton route.

Most bands use backing tracks as a way to  augment the band. So many cool things you can add to the band. Or if the bass player gets sick you won't need to cancel the gig.

This is the beauty of running multi tracks. You can pick and choose what it is you want to use. Simply remove or add that track to the mix.

Some bands use loops instead of backing tracks or they use both. You might have seen Geddy Lee step on a pedal  during a Rush concert. He was triggering a loop live. This frees the band from the need to use a click track since the loops are only added as "flavor" to the band. 

Here is a Looptimus setup.

Richard I got a Keith McMillen  QuNEO!

• 4 months later...
On 1/10/2018 at 3:30 PM, Just1L said:

Good information Tim. I've thought about what I would need to do to get up on stage and play my tunes and I know I'd need help with some instruments and this would seem the direction go to. Unless I could get actual musicians to play with me. This will be a great reference.

This part makes me think that one day, when you go to a "concert", you'll look on stage and the band will look similar to this:

y97mtesq

Heh, looks like a Kraftwerk gig.

Related image

29 minutes ago, Glammerocity said:

Heh, looks like a Kraftwerk gig.

Related image

Looks like "one day" has already came and went. LOL

For most of the acts I have investigated, they aren't like this. Many have a keys player who uses all of the tools available to compliment a 4 or 5 piecee band. I loved Kraftwerk at one time :)

I have been using Ableton Live 10 with backing tracks occasionally for what I do. The main thing is you need to find the right keys ( as in Bb, A etc.) you need for the tracks. Some of the tracks I bought were above my vocal range or too low.  I have also found that 

tracks with weird fills can tend to throw an audience off because they expect you to go right into the next section. Lately I've been more selective in the types of tracks I buy.

The really cool thing about Ableton is is can speed up/slow down tracks and even change the keys. Lets say you buy a multi track from http://loopcommunity.com/ or something similar. You'll get everything as a separate track which you can download as a list.

With a PC you can lasso the whole list of wavs using CTRL +click and drag it right into the session view of Ableton. If you know how to do it you can drag the song into a chronological order, kind of like using Excel only for music.. These song cells can then be placed in order and triggered with midi. If you don't want to take a laptop along you can write the perfomance to a usb thumb drive or SD card and play it in a music player or a supporting keyboard. My Roland has a usb port on front that will play wavs. Lots of things you can do!

"But also," I would hasten to say, "they are musicians!"  The computers that they're staring at might well be the immediate technical sources of "the sound-waves that you hear," but those computers are not the human(!)-creative reasons why you are hearing them right now.

• 1 month later...
  • Noob
On 5/18/2018 at 8:30 PM, starise said:

The really cool thing about Ableton is is can speed up/slow down tracks and even change the keys. Lets say you buy a multi track from http://loopcommunity.com/ or something similar. You'll get everything as a separate track which you can download as a list.

With a PC you can lasso the whole list of wavs using CTRL +click and drag it right into the session view of Ableton. If you know how to do it you can drag the song into a chronological order, kind of like using Excel only for music.. These song cells can then be placed in order and triggered with midi. If you don't want to take a laptop along you can write the perfomance to a usb thumb drive or SD card and play it in a music player or a supporting keyboard. My Roland has a usb port on front that will play wavs. Lots of things you can do!

wow! Never would imagine how powerful daws are. I really have to learn how to work with them. I am also going to be buying the digital piano soon.. Rolands are good for working with daw's?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Kyla. I haven't been around much. I have a Roland Juno Stage I really like. They fall into a mid category that puts them in reach of many musicians. They also have intuitive controls and sound good.  Yamaha also has some nice keyboards in that same bracket.

Better yet there are instruments inside of many daws. If you have an inexpensive keyboard with midi you can play the sounds in the software instrument. Not as difficult as it might sound to do.

There is one daw now that's both incredible and free if you have a PC. Called " Cakewalk by Bandlab". If you go to Bandlab website, You agree to download their little portal app which isn't too painful. After that you are free to download Cakewalk!  Inside the portal app you can check whether you want it to launch on start up. Some people don't want to see it every time the boot up.

Hope this helps!

Archived