Your Ad Could Be Here

using different mics for vocals

1 hour ago, Quintin said:

I was wondering if anyone has every used more 2 mics for a song. Iet say one mic for the verse and another for the chorus?

Hi Quintin - welcome to the site.

I’ve never used 2 mics for this type of use before, but I think it is known to be done in the industry as it can provide a different feel to certain parts of the song, or even for doing backing vocals.

I have 2 very different mics, but normally use either for a whole song. I think it would definitely work as you describe above.

Have you done this, or is it something you are thinking of doing?

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/20/2018 at 12:59 AM, Richard Tracey said:

Hi Quintin - welcome to the site.

I’ve never used 2 mics for this type of use before, but I think it is known to be done in the industry as it can provide a different feel to certain parts of the song, or even for doing backing vocals.

I have 2 very different mics, but normally use either for a whole song. I think it would definitely work as you describe above.

Have you done this, or is it something you are thinking of doing?

Yes I tried It, not a great Idea. But for backgrounds vocals I dont see a differnce. I would ues the same mic the whole way trough just have to choose

7 hours ago, TwoHippo said:

Hi Quintin,

I just use a Rode NT1A for recording vocals at home.

I have 2 mics, but the other, a shure sm58, i use it for live performances!

The Nt1 is a great mic. Have you ever tried laying your tracks down and the once the vocals are ready to be layed, Use to mic to mic Guitar and voice?

5 hours ago, Quintin said:

Yes I tried It, not a great Idea. But for backgrounds vocals I dont see a differnce. I would ues the same mic the whole way trough just have to choose

The Nt1 is a great mic. Have you ever tried laying your tracks down and the once the vocals are ready to be layed, Use to mic to mic Guitar and voice?

I must say that i never used the condenser mic for the guitar, i just plugin directly o the focusRite. That because i have a boomy guitar (a Cort guitar) in the lower register, so i prefer to record with direct plugin.

Whoa nice. I have a Cort electric guitar ive had for like 18 years it a great guitar. I would say mic that Cort with your NT1 in your next project work a shot. If it sounds good on the voice think of how it will sound on the guitar. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have sometimes used two mics are used side by side when recording vocals, of course each on their own track. That way you can choose between them or mix the two as needed to get the sound you are after.  Panning one right and one left will sometimes add some "fatness" to the signal and makes for an interesting separation effect as well. 

If I had a variety of mics I might use them. Since it is just me, I pretty much use my one microphone (which took me a couple years to settle on) for all my vocals - a Mojave MA-200 (tube condensor). It took me awhile to save up as it is fairly expensive (over 1K) but it works well for my vocals. I sold all my other mics to buy it except I did keep a SM-57, a SM-58, and I have a stereo pair of condensor mics.

I have the bare minimum to get by but the mics I do have are pretty decent. For me, good mics are just too expensive to have a bunch.

Archived