Your Ad Could Be Here

I Will Always Love You

Dolly Parton is a shrewd business woman. So, she certainly didn't give anything away when she allowed Whitney Houston to record it for The Body Guard. Which went on to sell something like 4 million copies. I Will Always Love You is within the top 20 (I think #13) most played song on the 20th century. 

People have always chosen sides of which is a better version Dolly or Whitney. I'm on the Dolly side. I don't care for Houston's version. But, she certainly made it her own. Dolly has said "she doesn't care. I just love the checks I get."

So, Dolly gets paid. But, does Whitney get paid? She obviously was paid for starring in the film, and for the soundtrack recording. But, would she get royalties? It wasn't a Whitney Houston album, it was a soundtrack. 

I was just lying in bed and thought of this. Why? I don't know. 

What do you think?

Archived