Your Ad Could Be Here

Biblically themed/referenced lyrics

I sometimes write Biblically themed or reference the Bible or have undertones of relationship with Jesus or struggles and joys in walking the Way, etc. in certain lyrics. 

I have a few collaborators who are my go-tos for these sorts of lyrics.  However, I like different genres and styles depending on the lyrics and I’d like to open up those options.  

It’s sometimes hard to connect with just the right match of collaborators, but even harder when you don’t know who they might be.  

To to find out who they might be requires a little exploration (for me anyway), and part of that is to get a sense of where they are and who they are, so here I am performing the awkward task of asking.  

I don’t expect a response here (unless of course you want to), but if you are a musician inclined in a direction to merge with such lyrics, send me a private message and we can find out if we make a good fit—to see if there is synergy there.

Just some basic info:  I do lyrics, sometimes vocal melody, can sing, but don’t have to be the vocalist.  I know a few guitar chords, but feel I need a musician collaborator to realize the song as a whole.

I create lyrics and have put lyrics to existing music and worked with musicians to pull together something we’ve created together from the onset.  

I work in spurts.  My time availability isn’t always consistent as I do this for me in my down time  (which is inconsistent), so my collaborators need to be okay with that.  

HellO! Are you looking to make religious music? Or music about religion?

because I too try to use a lot of biblical undertones, but my songs are far from about religion

if you’re looking for a song that uses biblical imagery but isn’t religious, then please let me know!

also hopefully it clears things up for other people too

Edited by Jenn

Well, I hate to get technical over words, but religion defined as how?  For me, the word religion has associations of ritual and I’m hardly ritual about anything.  

For me it is about the path and relationship.  Sometimes processing scripture, sometimes about how I feel about things, sometimes questions I have, sometimes taking a Bible character and writing from what I think his/her perspective might be.

Sometimes I write in appreciation for what He’s done in my behalf and sometimes to share a story.  

Sometimes it’s a song with elements of reminders in it for me and for others to help refocus on things that are an encouragement.

I try to stay away from the Religious wordage that is mostly only familiar to the studious, like the word propitiation (as an example) .  I try to put things in terms most people would understand, though I really like to use imagery that has an underlying statement.

I don’t know what you consider religious to know if any of those fall under your interpretation of what that means to you.

Most of what I write would not be what churches would use as part of their service, but I would like to think would have an appeal to those both belonging to and not belonging to a church as part of their independent listening.

So you can get a sense of my style of it, here’s  an example of one I posted here:  

HE STILLS THE SEA
Lyrics by Kc Chad ©2017

I dip my oar outside the boat
Peer in the deep, the vast unknown
concentric circles growing, growing

He Stills the Sea
Settles the waters that surround me
Fear pulls me under, doubt makes me wonder
but, he scolds the wind and calms the sea.

I search the sea for His reflection
Look around, I've lost direction
The wind is fierce the waves are retching

He Stills the Sea

Can't you see me?
Can't you see I'm drowning?
The hull is flooding
A storm is coming
It seems you're sleeping

He Stills the Sea

Gotta say, he’s a patient man
I know my faith needs strengthening
when I fear I'm perishing, 
His mercy's flowing

Hope turns to knowing....

He Stills the Sea

He calms the sea.

Edited by Pahchisme Plaid
Added a song lyric sample
  • Like 1

Oh I remember these lyrics.. loved them... very touching. And no, I don't have to "belong to the same religion" to have to relate to the words. I guess, if the theme is universal, it can appeal to many without being locked within the confines of religion.

Btw, I still have have that old sample melody of "How Clouds Come Crashing In" lying around with me.. if you're still interested to explore it further.. :)

Interesting.

I use Christian references and thematic material in some of my songs. Most of my lyrics are subtle but I have been known to use some Biblical phrases.

For instance, in Granite Walls I use the following Biblical references in the chorus

Tear down these granite walls
Leave no stone upon another 
<--- paraphrased
Tear down these walls and climb outside
Stand upon the sea of glass
<--- direct
Cast your crown upon the altar <--- direct 
Tear down these walls and say goodbye

In Bits and Pieces I use thematic references

Acquiescent to your reason
Faith had no place at all

Did you trade innocence for silver? <--- in particular, this line

Most folks probably don't even notice these references/themes but I feel like there are some powerful idea in the Bible even for people who don't believe. I just finished the lyrics for a Christian version of "You are my Destiny" which I will be posting soon, and I have started on another Christian rock tune called "Thy Will Be Done." 

I am superbusy right now with the upcoming Easter events at my church (I play in the contemporary music group) but maybe we can collaborate on something once I am done with that and finish my latest tune. I will PM you once things wind down a bit. If anyone else is interested in collaborating on some Christian rock stuff shoot me a PM. 

Peace,

TC

• Like 2

Oooh...You'll have to link me to that song, @TCgypsy.  I like the feel of the lyrics you have.  i'd love to hear your songs when they're ready.

Absolutely get in touch with me.  I'm juggling a few things between now and June just as a head's up, but I hope that isn't a discouragement to you!  I still work on songs when I am able.