Your Ad Could Be Here

Winamp

So I'm trying to hear stuff from this site, but the last two attempts were a "winamp" situation.

When I clicked on what I guessed was the "play" button (it was marked >), the first time nothing happened, but the little windows remained when I tried to close the box (window?), but w/ no words or tapedeck-thing, just white boxes. It finally agreed to close and I got a "this program isn't responding" message.

The 2nd period of trial, the hourglass appeared everytime I moved the mouse over the winamp tape recording picture box thing. Couldn't do anything. Trying to get rid of it, same thing happened as above.

Thanks for any help.

-Donna

Nightwolf,

Re: what we have, does this help? Husband wrote:

"We have Windows XP Home Edition. We connect to the internet through a phone line and modem. It sounds like you were trying to download something to listen to (?). There will be a delay for the downloading, sometimes several minutes depending on length of the song, etc... That may have prompted the hourglass, but usually there's a way to tell the download progress.

You may want to try Windows Media Player instead of Winamp. Its in programs. On the other hand, I'm not really sure what you're trying to do."

Re: what I was trying to do initially was listen to john's "Awaken" from his music page. Just now I tried again: I clicked on "lo-fi mp3 stream", and what came up was 1) a Winamp box 2) then two black boxes replaced the winamp one. Of these two new boxes, one was center screen and small. It looked like a tape recorder. The 2nd box was at upper left and "Thinger" or something like that was written at its right.

The arrow and hourglass were on as soon as the black bloxes came up. Nothing indicated that anything was loading.

I waited 12 minutes after clicking on low-fi and nothing. The win amp boxes (as soon as I minimized that page) went totally white and remained on the screen when I was back to the desktop picture (and the winamp window minimized). I can't maximize the winamp window; as soon as I hit "close" it'll do as I said in the first post.

So it was a stream. What does that mean?

Appeciating your patience...

Edited by Donna

Do you get a lot of advertizement windows popping up out of nowhere? Sounds like something else is taking control of your PC.

I can't stream john's tunes at home because my modem is too slow, but no other windows come up. I use winamp as well. It just sits and buffers

You should have a "prt scrn" button at the top right of your keyboard, Next time these windows pop up hit that button, open paint or some sort of graphics program and hit "crtl and V" to paste the image. "prt scrn" means print screen, this makes a copy of your desktop, "crtl and V" is the same as paste, this will copy the picture you took with "prt scrn" to a graphic program such as paint (which is in accessories when you mouse the start button). Save it and e mail it to me or post it here and I will try to help.

Sorry probably too much info,

John

Background programs:

Some programs run constantly, like your pop up blocker, for instance. You ask your browser to open, but there might be programs that you didn't ask to run, but when you installed them they said "is it ok if I run when you start your PC" and you said ok. Hit "cntrl, alt & Delete" at the same time (ONLY HIT IT ONCE) and a screen will pop up telling you what's running, click on applications and it should only show your browser looking at songstuff. Then click on processes and look for something that is using your resourses, if anything except "system idle process" is using a large part of your resourses, there is the problem, close that program, but you should probably check in here first.

Still try to grab a screenshot as I described in my earlier response, that would be the best way to get you going.

Namaste'

John Nightwolf

When you hit the print screen button, it places a copy of the screen on your clipboard. If you then open any graphics program (Like MS Paint) and press [Ctrl V] this will paste the picture of the captured Screen in your chosen App. You will need to Save as a jpg or Giff then attach it to an Email to send. If you want to post the screenshot in this thread you will need to upload the picture somewhere then link to it from your post.

You could try to disable Winamp! Or you could try to find Windows Media Player and make that your default player. It should be in C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player Personaly, I hate winamp!

When you hit the print screen button, it places a copy of the screen on your clipboard. If you then open any graphics program (Like MS Paint) and press [Ctrl V] this will paste the picture of the captured Screen in your chosen App. You will need to Save as a jpg or Giff then attach it to an Email to send. If you want to post the screenshot in this thread you will need to upload the picture somewhere then link to it from your post.

You could try to disable Winamp! Or you could try to find Windows Media Player and make that your default player. It should be in C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player Personaly, I hate winamp!

You also might wanna try running these two programs first.

AdAware which will cleanse your PC of most nasties

and

Spybot which will get rid of some other nasty stuff.

Both are free and well tried and tested. Might help improve your winamp performance. In any case

it's good to run cleansers like these once every so often anyway.

BS

Seems like I have the same problems as Donna with WinAmp.

My default player is Windows Media Player - but WinAnp persists in running from the Songstuff links I choose.

Correction: it persists in appearing but refuses to actually operate as far as playing tracks goes.

I have a high-speed cable connection and purge regularly with Ad-Aware and Search&Destroy, so none of that would appear to be the cause of the problem in my case. Besides, For internet radio streams WinAmp works perfectly ok.

My only effective solution if there is something I really wish to listen to from one of the people here, is to download the file onto my computer, and then listen using Windows Media Player.

Like Steve, I dislike WinAmp because of the unnecessary problems.

Seems like I have the same problems as Donna with WinAmp.

My default player is Windows Media Player - but WinAnp persists in running from the Songstuff links I choose.

Correction: it persists in appearing but refuses to actually operate as far as playing tracks goes.

I have a high-speed cable connection and purge regularly with Ad-Aware and Search&Destroy, so none of that would appear to be the cause of the problem in my case. Besides, For internet radio streams WinAmp works perfectly ok.

My only effective solution if there is something I really wish to listen to from one of the people here, is to download the file onto my computer, and then listen using Windows Media Player.

Hey Lazz!

Yeah, not a big fan if Winamp either, other than for streaming. But then again I

dislike RealPlayer and MediaPlayer just as much. Its half the reason I still prefer to

buy CDs and listen through a good CD player and amp, rather than download - legally

or otherwise!

However, I've just downloaded about half a dozen tracks from Songstuff's MUSIC pages

( using right-click and "Save Target As" ) - all play fine in Winamp 5.1 "Full" version. Note

I use the "classic" skin which eats less CPU.

Donna - you might wanna try WinAmp 5.1 "Lite" version with the classic skin, if you're

getting PC performance troubles...

BS

Hi Lazz,

I take it this is the situation you mentionned about SongPlanet.

It seems the issue is on your side.

Can't you totally uninstall WinAmp, then?

Didier

It seems the issue is on your side.

Yes. I agree this is probable.

It works fine under other circumstances.

Can't you totally uninstall WinAmp, then?.

Yes. Easily.

Would you then suggest re-installation?

Hey - Now this quote thing isn't happening either.

Edited by Steve

Can't you totally uninstall WinAmp, then?.

No.

You were writing you didn't like Winamp, and that it was interfering with the operations of your other media player(s).

Just uninstall it.

If you miss some functions not provided by your other media player(s), I'm pretty sure there are other programs/solutions for this.

Partly out of laziness, I guess, I never had Winamp on my machines.

Didier

• 2 weeks later...

Husband has FINALLY heard my pleas....oddly after I forwarded him that e-mail on how engineers explain women (complete with diagrams).

Tho that has nothing to do with this.

But your efforts have not been in vain.

Winamp: Anathema sit! (Soon it'll be uninstalled, YAY! Then I can listen to HH's 23 yr old demo, John's Awaken, et al)