Your Ad Could Be Here

Foxy Lady (Jimi Hendrix) - alternative version

I wrote this cover of Foxy Lady a couple of years ago but we finished recording it last month.

It was born for fun. At that time I was listening to a rock song by the band "Chevelle" entitled "Face to the Floor". And I thought it would have been nice to make "Foxy Lady" in that music style.

The song is not suitable for the repertoire of my band. So I asked my friend Osva to sing it. In my opinion he did a great job.

As usual, any feedback is more than welcome.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob Ash said:

Tight. Great engineering. Great production. Feels like a very practiced hand helped lead the project on this one, Roberto. Powerful, as has been all your offerings lately. Really bangs. Hard rock - Alternative type heaviness. Contemporary sound.  I had better stop before I start to really gush.

Wish I had nits for you.

Just love it.

Rob thank you so much! Anytime I get feedback from you I feel I'm doing something meaningful. You are really supportive and motivate me to go on. 

This is the result of the whole team. I cannot take all credits.

Thank you again.

Roberto

On 6/8/2018 at 1:47 PM, nicetalkintoya said:

Great job, Roberto (and everyone involved)!  I'm a fan of Chevelle and huge fan of Jimi, so this is especially sweet!  Everything worked for me, even the solo, and that's saying something when you're covering a Hendrix tune.      

Thanks a lot James! That "solo" was born a long ago :). It was a short melody I created when I was young. I've often tried to build something around it but never succeded. When I was working on this cover I told myself "let me try...who knows..." :)

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/29/2018 at 8:32 PM, StevieM said:

Great cover. Sounds completely professional. Nice layered vocal harmonies. How were the guitars recorded and the drums? Was this recorded "live" as a full band in the studio, or were the drums laid down first?

Thank you very much Stevie. No, no live recording at all. Also because I didn't do this one with my band. I have an electronic drum set and I record the midifile of the execution. Then I edit the part in Cubase and when I give the file to our friend sound engineers they assign different samples. The bass part is from the midifile (played wit my keyboard). Only the guitar and the voice are real. 

15 hours ago, robertolabruna said:

Thank you very much Stevie. No, no live recording at all. Also because I didn't do this one with my band. I have an electronic drum set and I record the midifile of the execution. Then I edit the part in Cubase and when I give the file to our friend sound engineers they assign different samples. The bass part is from the midifile (played wit my keyboard). Only the guitar and the voice are real. 

Interesting. What's the order of your recording process? Do you lay down the drums first? If drumming to a scratch demo, how do you keep time without a pre-existing reference? Do you use a metronome or something on the demo track?

Edited by StevieM

7 hours ago, StevieM said:

Interesting. What's the order of your recording process? Do you lay down the drums first? If drumming to a scratch demo, how do you keep time without a pre-existing reference? Do you use a metronome or something on the demo track?

No no, I lay the drums last :)  . I'm a very frustrated drummer. As a drummer I would only (try to) play modern progressive metal (or jazz/fusion). Unfortunately I don't have the skills and in order to do something I play our simple rock songs. And I like the drums part in simple rock songs to be very sober (like Korn for example). But it's very boring to write a detailed sober drums part :). So I always leave the drums last. 
I write the arrangement using a simplified drum part written by hand (or I copy an existing one if similar). Then I export the song with no drums to use as backing track, upoad it to Cubase, set the metronome  and play the drums part on my electronic drums. I take the midi track recorded and correct it in Cubase what I don't like. I have a  very naive procedure :) .

On 7/8/2018 at 6:52 PM, Nick Pellecchia said:

Production is great. It's actually all well done and it gives the song I guess an 80's vibe. My problem is I can't not hear the iconic tune in my head and that ruins it for me.

I understand. The feedback we receive varies greatly from person to person. When the emotional connection with a song is very strong, it is difficult to appreciate a reworking. In this work we have received compliments also on a fan page of Jimi Hendrix, but it always depends on your personal emotional experience. (it is the same for me on songs like "wish you were here", I cannot imagine a different version)