Your Ad Could Be Here

A Bit Confused

• Noob

So I found this song I really like on youtube but the song sounds better when I use the speed adjuster to put it to 1.25 speed, but when I downloaded the song and adjusted the speed using Audacity the song sounded nothing like it did on youtube despite me setting the playback speed to 1.25 like it was on youtube.  Why did this happen and can someone help me fix this?

When you say it “sounds nothing like”, can you say more? Imagine contacting a motor mechanic for a quote and when he says “what’s wrong?” You say, “It won’t go”. So, as best as you can describe... in what way does it not sound as expected? Pitch? Tone? Distortion? Something else?

It will be a guess anyway, but the more info, the closer or more informed the guess will be.

• Noob
12 hours ago, john said:

When you say it “sounds nothing like”, can you say more? Imagine contacting a motor mechanic for a quote and when he says “what’s wrong?” You say, “It won’t go”. So, as best as you can describe... in what way does it not sound as expected? Pitch? Tone? Distortion? Something else?

It will be a guess anyway, but the more info, the closer or more informed the guess will be.

Well when I listen to it on youtube its the singer has the same voice only sped up but when I used Audacity it sounded like a Nightcore song the voice got much higher in pitch.

Ah. Ok Audacity is simply speeding up the audio playback,  which changes frequency. You will find all the instrumentation has sped up, not just voice (unless it is vocal only!).

YouTube is using a pinch correction algorithm with the sped up playback, to pitch the result down to the original pitch.

That is also your audacity solution. You can calculate it.... but there will be all in one plug ins for audacity that allow you to speed up but retain pitch. I am away from my DAW so I can’t easily check exact options.

• Noob
1 hour ago, john said:

Ah. Ok Audacity is simply speeding up the audio playback,  which changes frequency. You will find all the instrumentation has sped up, not just voice (unless it is vocal only!).

YouTube is using a pinch correction algorithm with the sped up playback, to pitch the result down to the original pitch.

That is also your audacity solution. You can calculate it.... but there will be all in one plug ins for audacity that allow you to speed up but retain pitch. I am away from my DAW so I can’t easily check exact options.

So I could get the same results of youtube using Audacity I will just have to download a plug in and tweak the settings?

16 hours ago, zaiato said:

So I could get the same results of youtube using Audacity I will just have to download a plug in and tweak the settings?

It used o be a seperate plug in was needed. Now, it is built in.

Instead of effect/change speed use effect/change tempo

Job done :)

• Noob
11 hours ago, john said:

It used o be a seperate plug in was needed. Now, it is built in.

Instead of effect/change speed use effect/change tempo

Job done :)

Ah ok thank you I will have to learn how to use Audacity better it seems.

Archived