Your Ad Could Be Here

Aspiring Singer-Songwriting - New Here!

Sunflakes

• Noob

Hey all,

I ran into Songstuff while trying to remember the term Prosody, ha ha. I can't remember what the article was that I read here, but I realized it was a community of songwriters, and the critique section is really what got me to join. I've been writing songs for about a decade (which is a fairly high percentage of my life ;) ), and I decided recently that I've reached a point in my craft where I'm finally comfortable accepting feedback and critique. But there aren't that many people in my life who know enough about music to help me. So this was kind of perfect timing that I found this site!

In other news, I'm a little nervous to start here, cause while I consider myself a nice person at heart, I know I can come across as pushy at times. I really am here to learn and expand my craft, so take me with a grain of salt when needed. ;) I'm a little intimidated by all the people here who seem to know so much about the music industry--I've only ever performed for friends and family--but I'm excited to get some outside feedback on old staples as well as songs I'm currently composing.

Hope to see you in the forums!

-Sun

• Like 3

Hello Sunflake (nice nickname!), and welcome aboard!

No need to be shy, we're all laymen here (that's my guess, maybe let's say "most are laymen"). I've written songs and (mostly just) lyrics since about 20 years and only started performing publicly last year at the age of 64. My 4th concert will be on Saturday - you might imagine how nervous I am... In comparison I consider posting and discussing lyrics and songs a purely recreational activity. Nice people all about here 🙂

Bernd

Edited by Bernd
  • Like 2

• Noob

Yeah, it seems like a pretty friendly, relaxed, and focused community, especially compared to some other songwriting forums I've run into. Glad to know I'm not the only layman here. :) Good luck on your concert! I'm sure you'll do great.

-Sun

• Like 1

Hey Sun

Welcome to the Songstuff family!

There are some pros, semi-pros amongst the member ranks, a good number of experienced and accomplished amateurs too... but loads of people at all amateur levels. Quite a few who aspire to doing something on a professional level at some point, including a motivated bunch who are actively releasing EPs and albums etc. I love seeing such creativity and productivity!

You will learn as much, if not more, by giving critique, if for no other reason than you don’t have personal attachment to the work being discussed. Top tip, offer advice but don’t be invested. It is their song to use or lose your comments according to their own vision. Taste is personal. We can all only talk with any real authority from our own perspective. It saves arguments, especially when people having their work critiqued may be unprepared.

I was thinking of running a workshop about effective critique, and we have thought about doing some basic videos to help people get in the groove. Hopefully we will get to both soon.

it’s a fun process, especially amongst a truly mixed crowd who are united by one thing. Their love of songs. I hope you enjoy yourself here. Any questions? Please don’t hesitate to ask myself or one of the other site crew.... though I know the members are very supportive.

Nervous? Just remember, no matter who they are, or where they are in their own path... here on this site... in their craft... they have all been where you are, or will be where you are some day. :)

• Like 2