Your Ad Could Be Here

Where should I obtain ISRC codes?

Aaron Bitman

Songstuff referred me to usisrc.org, which I assume will charge me a one-time fee of $95 and will then give me ISRC codes for as many songs as I like.  But I also found another site - isrc.com - which claims that it will charge me $30 plus $2 per track. It sounds like if I want to register 32 or fewer songs - as I plan to do - then I should go with isrc.com, but if I plan to register 33 or more songs then I should go with usirc.org.  Or are there other factors which I'm not considering? (For instance, is isrc.com on the up-and-up?)

And here are some personal details, in case they should have bearing on this decision.  I have no plans to profit from my music.  My intention is to seek out venues - such as websites - where I can advertise my music and invite people to listen to it (on YouTube, or whatever website or medium). I don't plan to monetize. In fact, I have strong doubts that I want to bother with ISRC codes at all.  I'm getting them just in case I change my mind in the future.

Could you please supply your view on the matter?  Thank you in advance for whatever help you can give me.

Edited by Aaron Bitman
Added a thank you.

The reason I might change my mind later is that I don't yet know where - if anywhere - I'll find my audience.  I might post my songs on fifty websites without anyone taking notice, and then, maybe years from now, I might put my music out on some other website or medium - perhaps one that doesn't even exist yet - and suddenly find that I'm a hit.  By that time, it may be too late to get ISRC codes.

The question isn't WHETHER to get them, but WHERE.

Edited by Aaron Bitman
clarification

I'm not familiar with the second site you posted, irsc.com. I got mine from usirc.org without knowing about the other. I guess the one advantage to where I got them, usirc.org, is like you mentioned, years from now I might be a hit and all I'll have to do is supply the code. With the other site, you'll need to re-look up your password, hoping your email you used to create your account is still accessible and pay every time you assign a code. And if you were to get a new email address, you'd have to make sure you update your account info/email on that site. If money isn't an issue, using usirc.org is the way to go. One and done and you'll have however many codes you need for however long you'd like to continue writing.

Edited by Just1L
  • Like 1

It is pretty easy to use up 33 isrc codes. If you release a song, you might make an release several recordings. A standard recording, a radio edit, an extended version, a remix, an unplugged version... and every one of those recordings gets a different isrc code.

• 1 month later...
  • Noob

ISRC numbers are automatically issued to songs by the stores you upload them to if you don't already have them in place. This is free.

However, ISRC numbers are only there so that the songs can be traced back to the rights holders for royalty payments etc. If you have no intention of making any money from them ...ever, you don't really need to bother with them.

Alternatively, if you want some codes for a bunch of songs, I'll give you some for free as I am an authorised issuer. Message me.