Your Ad Could Be Here

Productivity tips for musicians?

• Editors

@john and I were discussing earlier today about my struggle with being productive while living the life of a full time musician. For one thing, it's a fairly unpredictable way of everyday life so I've got to keep my scheduling approach flexible yet optimised. Another challenge takes control when this fairly volatile way of living shows its symptoms in all the different things an independent musician is usually involved with.

For example, I was struggling with keeping track of the tour that I recently did before the release of my EP, the documentary we shot for throughout, the upcoming music video that will be released soon, preparing for the launch gig for the EP next month, rehearsals for it with multiple musicians, the backend work for the EP that is necessary to effectively reach audiences that our Songstuff's own Red Circle 7 Records that I'm part of has been working on, the classes that I take to keep everyday survival going and then comes the biggest one of dealing with life itself which has been one of a kind this year and not necessarily in a good way.

Any productivity tips for someone with a hell of a life? which is usually most kinds of artists.

I struggle with productivity on a daily basis as well my friend. Balance and time management are key for me. Starting your morning off right with some meditation (whatever it may be, I often just find myself talking to my reflection telling myself, "YOU THE MAN RYAN! YOU GOT THIS!" 😂) and a good breakfast are ideal! And then of course life happens and everything I thought would go well doesn't or something goes awry.. but hey.. at least I'm present and accounted for!

Going back to school for me as a non-traditional student has been a challenge. Lots of distractions, lots of temptations. I've found the company you hang around with says a lot more about you than you could ever say yourself, so keep that in mind. Staying busy keeps my mind off worry. Keep moving, keep pushing, keep learning. Life is a perpetual progression.

1. Leverage the work you do in many ways... do something once and re-use, re-purpose it to be an asset in many varied environments. Pretty soon you get good at anticipating re-use, and you build adaptability into it’s creation.

The overlap of tasks is vital to minimising workload. The maximum payoff for minimum effort equation. It allows you to find time.

2. Then there is the 80 / 20 rule, also called the Pareto principle. This rule applies in many circumstances from planning and tasks, time management, sales and marketing, product development, feature lists, even popular songs and many other applications.

In music it could be shown that 80% of your sales come from only 20% of your audience. In time management it would be that 80% of your goals are achieved after only 20% of the time, and conversely pushing to get that 20% is going to be very time consuming.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareto_principle

You can use this knowledge for better planning.

3. Build Your Team, and then DELEGATE. The busier you get, the more critical this becomes. ‘Nuff said.

4. To do lists

5. Calendar and reminders apps on phone and online

6. Automation

7 Work templates... templates for emails, letters, posts, even templates for tasks.

I would write more but I have to go for now. When I get a chance I will come back and fill out this post. 

:)

• Editors

The 80/20 rule is quite an insight John! Been keeping that in mind while I'm allotting time to tasks.

Archived