Your Ad Could Be Here

Is there a guitar or piece of gear you regret ever getting rid of?

Driftwood

There is one guitar in particular though at the time I was happy to trade it in for a Fender USA strat deluxe. It was a white mex made lefty squier in the early 90s. At the time I was just getting back into buying gear. I had  Les Paul Custom, but was languishing for a couple years with an Ibanez strat with humbuckers at the bridge. It was an ugly looking black guitar, but all I could afford at the time. Then I came into alittle money and suddenly the wish became a need. 😉

So, a friend of mine who worked at a music shop ordered the Fender mex squier for me. But unfortunately, black or white was their only colors offered. The curse of playing left handed i.e colors and models offered. So I chose the white for a colour. Anyways, I got this guitar and it played great. The squiers back then were in a sense the mex "standards" with a squier name until they went to suddenly differentiate the two in quality. 10 years later as my guitar collection was growing, the idea of getting the standard tobacco sunburst strat became an obsession. 

One trip to La Crosse Wisconsin would seal my white strats fate. A USA Fender strat deluxe was hanging on the wall , begging to come home with me. I brought the white mex strat for trade even knowing I wouldnt get much for it. But it was expendable.

Only years later did I start thinking about that guitar,the songs I wrote with it, the lighter body than my deluxe and neck that was just a touch easier to play than my deluxe. Had it been just another color like a candy apple red, I would have kept it. The cost of having someone take it apart and paint it a different colour crossed my mind, but the cost just wasnt going to justify the end result. I did recently get a candy apple red one in its honor. But I wonder to this day who owns it now....

Edited by Driftwood

A Yamaha FS-310 spruce top acoustic guitar - not the much more recent F-310 guitar - I bought the FS in the early 80's, 82 maybe and must have kept it until 2004-ish but I'd bought a Seagull Cedar S6 around 2000 because the FS had been played to death - I have pictures somewhere that show how incredibly worn the fret board and frets were - that was the only reason I bought the Seagull - lovely as that guitar is it doesn't rock the way the FS did - it had a great dynamic range,  a real gutsy sound - you could unload your feelings on this guitar - it could take it. The Seagull is far more refined,  more suited to fingerstyle playing but it just doesn't have the volume the FS had. I never stopped missing that guitar and I'm thinking about looking for another old Yamaha. I did all the important and memorable things with the FS - played at my sisters wedding and all the best open mics and party's I ever played at and every month at a monthly acoustic night I jointly set up and ran at a local cricket and hockey clubhouse/bar - I used to take it with me when I went camping. I'm away in France atm, I'll try and dig out some pictures when I get back home. Tbh the FS wasn't an expensive or top end model - it was just well made as it was a product of the 80's.

Here's a video of someone else who restored a battered old FS who feels the same way I do about it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IfsjPwXrU_E

I may be pilloried for this.

In the early eighties I bought a 1960s blue speaker Vox AC30 from a friend.  I got it realyy cheap and so had no idea what it's real market value was. 

It sounded great, but we lived in a small house, had a baby on the way by 1987 and the size and noise of it didn't suit at the time.

I tried selling it in the local paper, and eventually ended up donating it to a charity shop when the pressure was on the make space for a nursery. 

It would be worth £££££'s now.  If only I had lent it to someone or put it into storage.

lemonstar

I bought a cheaper Yamaha FG series I got just recently (had one in the 90s and sold it) after parting with my expensive Taylor. The FG series was oddly Elliot Smiths signature guitar.

My brother has a 70s Yamaha FG that sounds great, but I cant get him to part with it...well....lets just say I dont have the guts to ask.lol

Gazebo

My friend had a tenant that lived upstairs that had one of those old Voxs with the stand. I don't think they make them like that anymore with the stand. Ive been thinking about an AC15 myself. Seem to have a lower end to them than the comparable Fender Blues junior I have.

1 hour ago, john said:

I miss my Marshall Stack. :( It was a 1970 head with the master volume conversion, plus two 4x12 speaker cabs. A bit much for small venues, but an awesome sound :D

I had a used Marshall artist series stack. 25watt head with 4-10s. Had your classic Marshall sound but dependability was nil. First off, the input jack on the circuit board was becoming cracked and ended up hard wiring a new one and then a capacitor blew on it. So, that was my first and last Marshall I ever owned. Just running to 2 small Orange solid state amps now. 

14 hours ago, Driftwood said:

I had a used Marshall artist series stack. 25watt head with 4-10s. Had your classic Marshall sound but dependability was nil. First off, the input jack on the circuit board was becoming cracked and ended up hard wiring a new one and then a capacitor blew on it. So, that was my first and last Marshall I ever owned. Just running to 2 small Orange solid state amps now. 

That’s a pity. The issue was more the condition then? Or do you think it was down to bad design by Marshall?

My amp was a 100 Watt head. It was a valve head, that used a few different valve types. It was a looooong time ago but I seem to recall the power valves were 4 x EL34s or something like that. It had a Master Volume conversion (borrowing from the later Master Volume model)  to get distortion at lower volumes. Pretty valuable now, if only I had kept it!

I later had a wonderful Peavy Renown 400, which was a powerful transistor amp, versatile, dependable and solid. Great amp that it was, and I miss it too, it is the Marshall I find myself really missing.

I also had a great Ovation 12 string, 6 string and a Gibson Les Paul, US Custom, white with gold fittings. I loved that Gibson. Combined with the Marshall it was great for doing Paul Kosoff or Jimmy Page styled blues rock.

6 hours ago, john said:

That’s a pity. The issue was more the condition then? Or do you think it was down to bad design by Marshall? I think the 4 speaker cab was overkill actually. The 25 watts just werent pushing the speakers with enough throatyness. The input jack problem is actually a common problem Ive heard with Marshall amp heads. My friend had his 50 watt head hard wired too.

My amp was a 100 Watt head. It was a valve head, that used a few different valve types. It was a looooong time ago but I seem to recall the power valves were 4 x EL34s or something like that. It had a Master Volume conversion (borrowing from the later Master Volume model)  to get distortion at lower volumes. Pretty valuable now, if only I had kept it!

I later had a wonderful Peavy Renown 400, which was a powerful transistor amp, versatile, dependable and solid. Great amp that it was, and I miss it too, it is the Marshall I find myself really missing.

I also had a great Ovation 12 string, 6 string and a Gibson Les Paul, US Custom, white with gold fittings. I loved that Gibson. Combined with the Marshall it was great for doing Paul Kosoff or Jimmy Page styled blues rock.

Im not sure what the Artist series was about, but it didnt last long. For all I know it could be a collectors now, but I bought it back in the early 90s. It sounded good with the Les Paul, but it just didnt seem to project well with the strat.