Your Ad Could Be Here

Songwriter/Guitarist Here! I'll introduce myself.

Hey Songstuff,

My name is Jake and I've been playing the guitar for almost 5 years now, been playing bass for 1 year, and the drums for 2 months. I started playing in August of 2014, when I was gifted an acoustic guitar for my birthday! I then went on to practice the electric guitar that december, and have been playing every day, ever since! I taught myself to play guitar, as well as the bass and drums. I've been told I have a unique ability (as flattering as it is, it's really come down to determination - what drove me to start the guitar was the urge to create that "noise" that all the big rock guitarists made!)

I am in a band, although I currently don't know what instrument I'm playing. I'm either playing the drums or guitar, whichever one. It wouldn't make sense to have me as a drummer though, because I'm so new, but it's been VERY difficult for us to find a drummer. We're still trying to come up with a name, but our previous names were "WUDO" and "South of Poledo". The band is going to be your typical rock band, guitar bass and drums, with one of us singing.

I write both lyrics and music by myself with no aid, although I'm below average at best at writing lyrics. I could use some help there. I also record my own music in sort of a homemade studio. I have Guitar Rig 5 Pro for Guitars and Bass, GetGoodDrums Modern & Massive for my drums, FL Studio 2.0 Producer Edition for my DAW, with some third party VST's installed. I do have music available on the web, primarily my soundcloud account. Here's the link, if I'm allowed to post it:

On my soundcloud account, I have a portfolio of music ranging from:

Heavy Metal: (Grey Skies, Demon Spawn, Epiphany)

Progressive Metal: (Validate)

Punk Rock: (Bananabomb, The Road, Running, Bring Me Down, 

Rock: (YO, ACID, Attached)

Indie Rock: (PSYCHE, Beautiful [my favorite], Maybe It's Me [second favorite], Love Is All We Ask For)

Experimental Rock: (You)

Experimental Hip-hop: (Open Waters, Excuses, walls, sleep)

Clean Solo Guitar: (Oof)

A lot of them are older songs, and my soundcloud account acts as some sort of visualized progression. From the first track to the last, you can definitely see how I've progressed as both a musician, and an.... audio engineer, or producer?

I don't currently have any roles in the music business, I am completely and purely independent. I'm not a tech head for guitars at least, but I do love me a lot of pedals.... I live in the U.S.A, and my main ambition is to reach out to people with my music, you know, get it out there so people can experience it. My main past time is, believe it or not, playing the guitar! (And building computers - but that's kinda expensive and time consuming, so I don't do it a lot.)

I would like to get feedback out of songstuff. I want to know how I can improve, I want to borrow some tips from other people! It's nice and all progressing on your own, but with tips and tricks from other people you could vastly diversify your content, help make it the best it can be.

Anyways, that was my introduction. I'll post some of the favorite songs I've made in the critique section, but in the meantime, I'll see you guys around the forum!

Edited by Jake Twardosky
  • Like 1

Hi Jake,

Welcome to Songstuff!  Good intro and see you around the boards. 

Hey, mentioning you thought you were "below average" in the lyric writing.

We have great critique areas and members, with lots of help for raising the level of your writing. Also many articles and information on writing.

http://www.songstuff.com/article/

Enjoying listening to your tracks. Nice!

:)

Peggy

• Like 1

Hey! Nice intro! I'll definitely check your soundcloud while I'm at work!

I hope you find a lot of help and tips for making the best of you in this forum! It's so nice to find other motivated music lovers and I'd love to give you as much feedback as I can!

Yeah, we drummers are bot easy to find! It's great you can play the drums for your band! ^^

See you around! 

• Like 1

• Noob

Hi there  Listening to what you have on Soundcloud   there was no vocals ???   ????    

Repetition  ??  repeating a phrase  around four or more times ,in succession  ???    ????    

Just to mention two areas where  you could improve  ,  

Otherwise you are fighting peoples attention Span  with the first three songs 

Try faster tempos  ,  a mix of fast and slow ,  just ideas  you can take or leave    

Best Wishes  Hope This Helps

Edited by Got The Tee Shirt
shortening my reply
  • Like 1

Just had a check! You have so many cool things up there! Loved the punk ones, and rock. 

I missed so much the vocals, while listening I was already humming a melody in most of them.They sound great, just sometimes a bit repetitive or simple, but because I think they really need the vocals there! Overall I enjoyed them a lot! ^^

Edited by Michan
Typo!!
  • Like 1

Hey Jake!

Checked out your soundcloud, your songs sound really well made! I like your sound! I think they have huge potential to become great songs. Like the others I would love to hear some vocals in there but other than that it's really cool. 

Are the guitars all recorded with guitar rig? Sounds really good!

• Like 1

Thank you guys very much for the support!! I do have a new one with vocals, called "Sun" it's a song from me and my buddy, Jake (we both have the same name). We are a two piece band now called "FVR".

Also, to answer Jellycott's question, all the guitars are recorded with guitar rig. Only a week or two ago did I start messing with compression and limiting, giving the guitars more life and room in the songs, as well as the drums.

Before, I would have everything uncompressed. I made it work, but compression and limiting sounds so much better.

And as for the other songs, I'm currently teaming up with a few of my friends to try and get some lyrics in. I already have some lyrics for "Beautiful" and "Validate", I just need to polish them up and hopefully find someone to record them (those songs I feel have a LOT more potential so I would like to get a better vocalist on them.)

• Like 1