Your Ad Could Be Here

Why oh Why?

I can actually write a decent song. But, I also have always seemed to be tone deaf. My saving grace was everyone I recorded with was able to say "George you're out of key. That note should be that note." It all worked well. However for the past years, I've been recording in my basement and I don't have those ears around me anymore. 

It seems I use good and bad dissonance, without the knowledge I'm actually using dissonance. 

I knew that the bass in the following song break was not copying the notes of the acoustic. So, I wasn't sure if it was musically correct. I sent it to some of my ears. One said they weren't sure (they hate any dissonance), and the other said it was fine. I had augmented the notes (changed the mode). Which honestly I don't understand. But, he said it was fine. So, I was fine with it. BTW: This is the way it worked in the studio.

This is the full music of the song: 

When the guy who said it was fine heard the full song, the bass suddenly became pitchy. I knew I was playing different notes than the bass in the break. I seriously thought I was completely in key throughout the rest. 

Can someone point out the pitchy/dissonant points in the bass? I need a different set of ears. 

Also, are there any good sites that can teach me how to hear this stuff myself, without getting too much into theory? Years ago I was told dissonant notes will have a grating effect on your ears. There isn't one point in this song where it's grating on my ears. 

Archived