Your Ad Could Be Here

Songwriting advice

21 minutes ago, Amateur said:

come Give advice to new songwriters 

As it stands, your question is analogous to suggesting you want to drive for a living and asking on a car forum where to start. A snarky reply would be to learn how to drive. 😜 I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume your question is serious. 

To truly help, we'd need more background on you. What style of music do you intend to compose? Do you plan on being a solo artist or are you looking to collaborate with others in a band context? Do you intend to use analog instruments? Or, are you okay with sequencing music in a digital environment? If so, will said music use original synthesized melodies, or will it be sample based? Maybe, you intend to compose music for orchestras using pen and sheet paper? Where are you at in your musical development? 

Without this knowledge, the only honest reply I can give you is learn an instrument (snarky or not). 

15 hours ago, Amateur said:

Honestly, if you cannot be bothered typing more than 6 words in your post, I doubt many will offer much of a reply. Hell, even in typing this reply I have typed 34 words!

• Noob

In order to have success as a songwriter you need to able to write great melodies, chords and lyrics and sing, arrange and produce your song to such a standard that the listener immediately falls in love with the sound. You can learn all of these things by doing courses, studying the greats and working with people who are further along the journey than you are. Ideally, all of the above.

If you're planning on "winging it" and just "doing your thing" you'll be in for many frustrating years of trial and error. Because songwriting and production are complex skillsets like playing tennis or golf and you wouldn't be expecting to play at the US Open without serious practice and study.

But when you "get it" the rewards are immense and you can even make some decent money from it if you do your research and write in a style that's popular.

So—if you're just starting out it's going to be a long trek but with the right walking shoes and a good mountain guide it may well beat anything else in this life—at least it has for me!

On 5/28/2019 at 7:58 PM, Amateur said:

Write many boring songs before trying something interesting, seriously. Copy what other people are doing stylistically and learn from it. Then after a while you make your masterpiece. 

Archived