Your Ad Could Be Here

taking up new instument

Hey thanks boys! What a good response.

I will check out Hari's link in the morning. Nigel, I had a look at the Vioelectras. Lovely, but about £750 above what I want to spend (not more than £250 at the mo). The American Jensens & Jordans are even more pricey.

Thanks again. Will keep posting.

Hey Rudi

I starte playing the violin when I was 6 or 7. I haven't played really for a few years now (I sold my violins when I was broke). I keep threatening to get an electric violin, so I'll do a little research and get back to you if it's any help.

Cheers

John

Hey Rudi

I starte playing the violin when I was 6 or 7. I haven't played really for a few years now (I sold my violins when I was broke). I keep threatening to get an electric violin, so I'll do a little research and get back to you if it's any help.

Cheers

John

That would be real good. Thanks John :)

Hey Rudi

Is the violin new to you, or just the electric bit?

There's a load of sites on the internet about electricity too!

New. True, I bought a new one for about £5 when I was 17 (?), but it wouldnt stay in tune (or that was my excuse at least). I didnt keep it very long. So I am a novice.

If I had the money, I might be tempted to go the easy way by buying a Jordan 6 string fretted model & tune it like a guitar, but that is sort of wimping out of the violin experience.

I dont know much about electricity. I think I will need a DC one, turbo-changed hub-dynamo with ABS

I bought a 5 string fretless hartley benton bass with active electronics for just a bit more than that, and after changing the roundwound strings for flatwounds and a little setup adjustments it's a GREAT deal for the money...

nothing bad to say about it.

I didn't buy the violin just to avoid upsetting my wife! ;D

I bought a 5 string fretless hartley benton bass with active electronics for just a bit more than that, and after changing the roundwound strings for flatwounds and a little setup adjustments it's a GREAT deal for the money...

nothing bad to say about it.

I didn't buy the violin just to avoid upsetting my wife! ;D

I assume the active pickup is boosted (as in a pre-amp). Is this true?

• 2 weeks later...

Still no violin, though I did bid for a Yamaha one on ebay, and checked out quite a few more since.

I had decided to go for one of the hartley bentons Hari brought to notice, but they are all out of stock at present. Still checking ebay most days.

• 1 month later...
Still no violin, though I did bid for a Yamaha one on ebay, and checked out quite a few more since.

I had decided to go for one of the hartley bentons Hari brought to notice, but they are all out of stock at present. Still checking ebay most days.

Hey Rudi

I found several sites listing Thomanns gear showed thet the Harley Bentons were out of stock, but when I went to Thomanns UK they showed as in stock. I ordered an got one no problem.

:)

No one likes a smug bastard...

:-/:-[

:P

• 3 weeks later...

I never knew those things had jet thrusters on them. :o

-May have to get one now.

Due to strings/pegs not holding concert tuning, had been playing 1.5 tones low (EBF#C#). Practice for 1st two days was:-

E scales (in lieu of G)

B scale (in lieu of D)

A mixolydian mode (in lieu of C).

Played ‘Groovy Kid Of Love’ because it resembles playing a major scale.

(The tuning issue has been aired elsewhere (no I cant remember, & too lazy to look)

Now have replaced strings & added fine tuners, and managed to raise tuning to FCGD.

Have been doing some bowing exercises and have been playing tunes ‘Danny Boy’ and ‘Jolly Beggar Man’, both in F (in lieu of G).

Enjoying it more than I had even expected. Ready to add another tune I think, in a minor key probably.

Edited by Rudi