Your Ad Could Be Here

Bass guitar chat

I can't see a more appropriate place in the forums to try and start a thread on the bass guitar - the gear, the playing style, influences, songs with inspiring bass parts, practice methods, problems, etc - really - I think the bass ought to have it's own forum.

What basses are you playing? Makes, models? Know of any under-rated basses?

4, 5 or more strings? (Anyone playing more than 4 is mad iMHO!)

Do you own more than one bass?

Do you have different basses for different purposes, e.g. home recording, live use?

Active or passive? Why? Pluses and minuses?

Precision or Jazz or PJ?

Finger style, slap or pick - what are you strong on?

Roundwound, flatwound or tapewound strings?

Amps?

Short, medium or long scale? Why?

Previous history with basses?

The two serious bass players I know (don't see either of them that often ATM TBH) aren't really that opinionated about many things related to the bass - one plays in a function band (weddings, parties, etc) and is a multi-instrumentalist - plays piano as an accompanist, plays several brass instruments, conducts a brass band and arranges music for them. He plays an active Ibanez 5-string. The other plays in a band that only come together at a recording studio when their many songwriter has a collection of songs they want to record - that's been going for 10-20 years. He plays a passive Fender Precision.

Archived