Your Ad Could Be Here

Go to Gear

Hey Gang

What is your go to gear? The things in your studio you just can’t do without? Why are they so essential?

Cheers

John

I have a few go-to's that do different things:

1) DAW - I run Reaper on my laptop, as it seems to me the simplest one to use - and as I have been using it for several years a move to anything else would disrupt my workflow

2) Joyo American Sound Pedal - I use this so much as a DI amp sim.  Really cheap to buy, and surprisingly good Fender amp soundalike pedal.

3) Vintage V6LB Electric Guitar - this is a strat copy.  Ive had mine for 13 years and it still plays and sounds great.  I had a set up done on it a couple of weeks ago to clear up some scratchy pots, and thats all the work its ever had done.  I have more expensive guitars, but this is the most versatile and one that I have really bonded with

• Editors

DAW - Logic Pro X; I've spent quite some time exploring all the DAWs out there and I do particularly enjoy fiddling around with Studio One and find Reaper to be extremely resourceful but at the end of the day, having a MacBook, Logic seems to be the most stable and reliable for me.

Interface - I don't have much options to 'go to' the way I want but the Focusrite 2i2 that I have serves me well in recording scratch tracks, doing voice overs for my documentary work etc 

Microphone - I used to use a RODE NT1A for all my recording purposes but I must say that a condenser microphone has proved to be more troublesome in recent time since I do not have a proper studio set up and there is persistent ambient sound throughout day and night where I live. I recently purchased a Sennheiser e835 which is a dynamic mic that I will be testing soon. I have used the mic on stage before and it is one of my most favorite mics (besides the Shure SM58) particularly for the kind of presence it brings out from my voice . Let's see how it goes!

Archived