Your Ad Could Be Here

Problem with interface (advice)

• Noob

Hi, I'm working on an EP at the moment which I need to finish recording, but my interface stopped working yesterday. I have a focusrite scarlett solo 1st generation which I got last year, and I use audacity for recording and mixing. I've never had any issues with this in the past. I installed the driver from the focusrite website after I got the interface and ever since then I've been able to open audacity and record via the interface. But today I noticed that it was recording through the computer's built in microphone, not the interface, even though I had the interface selected. It kept coming up with an error message saying "power surge on USB port, port cannot supply enough power". I found this forum https://en.audiofanzine.com/daw-pack/focusrite/scarlett-studio/forums/ where someone else had the same issue, and the replies said that the PC simply can't supply enough power to the interface. What's confusing to me is that my interface has always worked fine and has only recently started displaying the error message, whereas the person in this forum had this issue right from the beginning. I can't think of any reason why my computer randomly decided to stop working with my interface. I even tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver, but it hasn't helped. One person on the forum suggesting trying different USB ports on the computer because some might provide more power than others. My PC has 2 USB ports. One of them didn't register the interface at all (it acted as if nothing was plugged in) and the other one constantly displayed the error message. Does anyone have any advice? Any possible explanation for why my interface randomly stopped working, or how I can fix it

What is your default device listed as in control panel/sound or audio devices? Do you see your focusrite listed there, and is it selected as your default input and output audio device?

Also, while I go see what I can discover, check in your control panel to see that your USB port answer bridge and controller are still ok.

It might sound silly, but have you rebooted your computer? Allow 30 seconds minimum of being turned off... ie don’t just reboot. Close down. Wait 30 seconds min. Then restart. Power down your interface. Wait 30 seconds min. Restart.

Just to explain, capacitors hold electrical charge for some time. A simple reboot doesn’t necessarily reset faulty hardware. Waiting gives a chance for the charge to dissipate.

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/206849399-Scarlett-USB-Gain-LEDs-flashing-when-connecting-Scarlett-to-my-computer-laptop

my guess is that the issue lies with your computer usb interface and possibly your motherboard.

At least if a powered usb hub sorts the issue and your computer still functions, all is well that ends well.

• 3 months later...

Have you upgraded you system software lately. That could. be it. Or maybe you just need a new interface. They go out sometimes.

Archived