Your Ad Could Be Here

From New, Back To Old

Anyone ever upgrade equipment and then revert back to their old stuff?

I replaced everything, hardware, gear and software, but after using the new stuff for three days, I find myself reverting back to my old mics (old faithful, budget-minded Shure's). The new mics seem too bright to me while the old mics seem "warmer". Maybe my old ears are more attenuated to the old familiars. Anyway, great to mess about with some new stuff, but the learning curve is steep.

Dynamic mics are warmer due to a low mid-tone bias and poor high frequency response. That helps in a live situation, but mics record information. Condenser mics are much more sensitive and have a better high frequency response. That means they capture detail that dynamic mics just miss. After recording it is much easier to remove information but impossible to recreate missed information. My point is that you can always use EQ to warm up the recording without missing the original detail... just saying. :)

Excellent point---and taken!😊

Now, at the same time, it very much depends on "what sound you are after."  If those condensers bring you closer to the sound you want without the necessity of digital filtering later, "so be."  But on the other hand, if you think you might need it later, you need to capture it now.

However ... "who says you can't sing into two mics at once?"  As long as you can send both of them into your DAW as two separate tracks of audio information ... 😎

Archived