Your Ad Could Be Here

Silent Night - 2 violins, keyboard, accordian

Hi everyone I'm Josh!

I made this version of Silent Night.

https://youtu.be/a5DwzHH7LqM

There are 2 violins, a keyboard, and an accordian/concertina.

I played all the instruments then synced the sound together.

This is actually the first one of these I have ever done (I'm a beginner lol)

Any advice is greatly welcome.

Thanks!

MrJoshie333 

This is very nice.

When the instruments all came in at the very beginning of the song, they kinda clashed, but around 0:30 they seemed to have found their relative places.  I think that this song would benefit from some additional mixing, to set (say ...) the piano as the lead instrument, the first violin behind it, the concertina in a steady fill/supporting role, second violin next, and synthesized everything-else filling in the remaining gaps.  If you wanted another instrument (say, the concertina) to "take the lead" for a phrase, you could actually do this in the mix.

Also consider the artful use of EQ.  Many of these instruments occupy the same general area of the sonic spectrum, although they specialize in a few frequencies.  You can use EQ to create "slots" so that other instruments don't step-on the one that you've designated to fill that slot.  Even though two instruments are perhaps playing at similar volume, within the slot one instrument is attenuated so the others can be more clearly heard.

4 hours ago, MikeRobinson said:

This is very nice.

When the instruments all came in at the very beginning of the song, they kinda clashed, but around 0:30 they seemed to have found their relative places.  I think that this song would benefit from some additional mixing, to set (say ...) the piano as the lead instrument, the first violin behind it, the concertina in a steady fill/supporting role, second violin next, and synthesized everything-else filling in the remaining gaps.  If you wanted another instrument (say, the concertina) to "take the lead" for a phrase, you could actually do this in the mix.

Also consider the artful use of EQ.  Many of these instruments occupy the same general area of the sonic spectrum, although they specialize in a few frequencies.  You can use EQ to create "slots" so that other instruments don't step-on the one that you've designated to fill that slot.  Even though two instruments are perhaps playing at similar volume, within the slot one instrument is attenuated so the others can be more clearly heard.

Wow, this is very detailed! Thank you so much for your advice.

I'm going to make another song soon, and I'll try to apply what you told me.

• 3 years later...
On 3/17/2020 at 6:00 AM, MikeRobinson said:

This is very nice.

Your insights on the song's balance are noted, and I'm keen to focus on enhancing the concertina's role. Setting it in a steady supporting role and experimenting with moments for it to lead sounds promising. I'll definitely explore EQ to give the concertina its distinct space in the mix. Thanks for the valuable suggestions!

• 4 weeks later...