Your Ad Could Be Here

Hi All

• Noob

Hello everyone. I've come to get inspired and get motivated. For years I've wanted to write songs but I have some sort of songwriters block. I want to learn how others got started and how people go about writing lyrics and music and coming up with melodies. Recently I had a chance to record one of the few songs I've written (almost 20 years ago). Unfortunately the session was rushed and I wasn't prepared. It was a great experience all the same. But now I want to re-record the song. I have some basic home equipment but I've struggled with the process. I'm hoping to get some pointers and maybe some feedback here.  --Aaron 

Hello Hello Aaron,

Welcome to Songstuff!  Just start up those great questions of yours as topics or critiques. 

Lots to check out. The library is cool for songwriters and then for your writers block .. try one of @john 's challenges. Have fun 🎶🎶

Need help finding anything just ask.

:)

Peggy 

* cool influences..🎶🎶

Hey Aaron! Welcome to the Songstuff family!

There’s a few things that help writers block, but for me, using a process works best. It’s a very simple approach and although for most the process contains similar elements, songwriters can have entirely different processes. You can even build in variation, and elements like free writing.

The idea is to put together a set process that ticks all the right boxes for you. For me I use a rough framework of ideas. For me, everything flows from the idea, through the emotion, to writing. My process has also evolved over time and it continues.

So, say an idea catches my mind. My brain may or may not churn out a very rough melody or a few words or lines in that moment. That’s ok. I want ideas to flow. I just want to control that flow. I Pause writing, set them aside and turn back to my idea. I then think of perspective on that idea. Often the idea is stimulated by friends, family or the tv.

So I have topic and perspective. I think on that, I imagine it and most importantly I feel it. I then search for a provisional title using a number of techniques like writing prose, word clouds, mind maps or simply lists. Prose I tend to find better for writing out a story that will be represented by the lyrics. It can give you characters, events, reactions, sequence and a lot more. If the lyrics will deliver a message, developing that idea can work well in prose.

You can tailor your process any way to suit you. Having a frame work and somego to tools makes a world of difference.

• Noob

Thanks John. I want to try some of your techniques. I'm going to post something in the Writing Songs forum to get some more thoughts on kickstarting the process. I'm determined to break out of this block or whatever you want to call it asap. 

Hi Aaron

I wish I could help you with songwriting, I'm jealous of songwriters because it's a skill I don't have. I'm a guitarist and my approach to music is technical and all about sound and the feelings it creates. So, happy to chat about home-recording and guitar playing if you need it 🙂. But I reckon you've come to the right place, you'll find some good advice and support I'm sure.

Cheers,

Jim

Archived