Your Ad Could Be Here

How to connect keyboard to interface?

Hi there,

Disclaimer: I am not a pro at this at all, so if I misuse a term, please forgive me.

So I have a normal modern keyboard that can connect to an interface using an TS cable. I also ordered the Scarlet 2i2 audio interface (but it hasn't arrived yet). 

I received my cables today, but when I took them out of the package, I found out that they were dual TS cables - they had two inputs and two outputs. (Here is what I ordered so you can see: https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-CPP-202-Stereo-Interconnect-Meters/dp/B000068O1B/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=TS+Cable&qid=1591644293&sr=8-4 )

So because my keyboard only has one place to plug in a cable, then should I buy a cable that only has one input and output? Or can I use the dual cables? If so, do I have to record stereo or mono? 

Any feedback regarding this would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Josh

What make and model of keyboard do you have?

5 minutes ago, john said:

What make and model of keyboard do you have?

I probably should have included that in my first post!

I have a Yamaha P-45 keyboard. It has one headphone jack, and it accepts TS cables (I believe that's what you call them).

Edit: I just realized I said that I bought XL cables in my first post - I meant to say dual TS cables*

Ok...

So it has a phones output (which gives a low-power stereo pair output audio signal. It's not clear if it is a stereo jack or stereo mini-jack connector, but lookslike it is the full size jack cnnector.), a usb connector and a sustain pedal connector (which will be a mono jack).

The cables you have are full size jack connectors, both mono.

it's far from the most versatile connecttion panels which can be quite limiting.

Your Scarlet 2i2 has 2 mono jack / xlr  inputs (used for instrument or microphone) a usb connector (for connection to your computer) and to mono jacl outputs (a stereo pair) for connection to active monitors (built in amplifier) or with an adapter to rca phono, to an amplifier and monitors.

So you would use your scarlet to connect a traditional microphone (not a usb microphone) and instruments like a guitar. It could also be used to input a stereo pair as outputs from a keyboard, but if doing so you couldn't then also use it to input a microphone. Not necessarily a problem, it largely comes down to how you would work.

Alternatively, you would connect your P-45 to your computer using the usb. You will see the term "MIDI" (Musical Instrument Digital Interface) in your manual. This is a protocol and format for primarily sending control information... mainly stuff like play this not, stop playing that note etc. Olders systems used a dedicated set of inputs for MIDI IN, MIDI OUT, MIDI THRU. On your system, MIDI is transmitted and received via the P-45 USB connection, to a PC USB connector.

That said, it looks like the P45 can also send audio information using the same P-45 USB port. I am not sure if it can do both at the same time? I would need to dig.

Solution #1

If it can do both at the same time, your port connections would look like:

P-45 USB  - > PC USB

Microphone -> Scarlet Mono Input

Sustain Pedal -> P-45 Sustain Port

Solution #2

If it can't do both at the same time, that would be a pain. then you would need a y-split connector for the audio. These connectors can be solid physical connectors, or come in the form of cables:

https://www.amazon.com/Tisino-Stereo-Y-Splitter-Return-Insert/dp/B07K591PFP/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=stereo+split+connector&qid=1591653407&sr=8-7

or more likely

https://www.amazon.com/TISINO-Splitter-6-35mm-Stereo-Quarter/dp/B073SQ21CT/ref=sr_1_55?dchild=1&keywords=stereo+split+connector&qid=1591653596&sr=8-55

These are for full size jacks. For mini jacks (3.5 mm) you will find similar. Worth checking in case you have to have mini at one end (the stereo jack headphones on your p-45) and full size jack inputs on your scarlet. That said, I believe it is a full size stereo jack, so I believe the second Y connector above would work with your ordered cables.

This setup would be like:

P-45 USB  - > PC USB (for Midi control)

P-45 Headphones -> stereo splitter -> Scarlet IN 1 & 2 (audio)

When you record your microphone using this set up you would need to unplug one keyboard channel to plug your mic in, or have previously rendered your keyboard to a wave file (ie recorded your P-45) into your PC and then be free to input your microphone.

Because of all the mucking about, if it can deal with audio and MIDI at the same time across the USB connection, that would be much less hassle.

Solution #3

The last alternative, probably the easiest, would be to connect your P-45 to your PC using USB to send MIDI info to your PC. In this scenario you do not use your P-45's sound generators. Instead you would install VSTi (Virtual instruments) on your PC. In this set up your P-45 is acting purely as a MIDI controller keyboard. This frees up both ports on your Scarlet interface. You can get some fantastic piano VSTi. There are a load of free and paid VSTi out these. With your keyboard as a good input device it would be very easy to use... though you would need to learn about VSTi... that said, if you plan on home recording, you would have to anyway!

I believe you will need to install a Yamaha MIDI USB driver on your PC for any of the solutions.

I hope this helps

PS It is handy to build up your audio and midi connectors when you are a musician. They come in handy!

Wow, thank you so much for the detailed response!!

I think I'm going to try your second solution and buy a y-split cable.

Again, thank you for making everything so clear! (Countless other places just confused me more, but you made it simple to understand).

Thanks,

Josh

No worries, happy to help :)

Archived