Your Ad Could Be Here

can I sing well? Should I pursue this?

Hello there. :)

I'm new here and I'd like to get one (or more)  professional opinion on whether I can sing well or not and if it's worthwile pursuing. Don't get me wrong, singing is my very favorite thing to do in the world but I want for it to make sense and I don't want to embarrass myself and keep going, when actually, I don't even have what it takes.

I'd appreciate it so very much if you could give this a listen and tell me what you think. Thank you in advance!

Melissa

Hey Shaza

Honestly it is hard to tell based on this alone. Perhaps it is nerves, perhaps location or even time you recorded this... but you seem to be holding back. You are not fully projecting at any point and it shows in your higher notes. They sound a little weak.

Don't get me wrong. You are generally on pitch, and your relaxed tone is pretty nice. Your breath seems to be a problem. If you are singing quietly (as it seems restrained) perhaps you are breathing too shallowly?

I will move this post to our performance board, but perhaps you should join our vocal club and get some help from @Mahesh? He's a great singing teacher and bound to have some good advice for you.

We all start off as raw talent. Many musicians get or have had lessons. Most do learn exercises to develop their skills. It isn't just natural.

Have you had singing lessons?

Cheers

John

PS don't be disheartened. Getting good takes serious work. We are used to dissecting songs and performances here to work out what is needed to make them better.

• Editors

Hello there @Shaza Salvalaggio,

I heard your cover and in fact took the liberty to check out some more of your covers! You've got a great timbre in your voice. Love that natural husk that really works well in contemporary music. Your vibrato sounded pretty sweet as well on the trails. Do you think you have a good control over it? Just asking out of curiosity. One thing that I did notice that could be worked on is your pitching as you sing. There were a few notes that fell flat. Do you think your ears couldn't recognize the mistake? (if so, it would help for you to look into some ear training). It could might as well be a technique problem too. Patiently vocalizing on scales while being really aware and accurate with the pitching promotes good muscle memory that can later be used in your performances.  I will be starting some new vocal challenges at SVCA (Songstuff Vocal Coaching Academy) club really soon. You might wanna join the club and turn on the notifications as well as I intend to answer singing based questions and help singers like you on your singing journey.

With regards to the question of whether it's worth pursuing, that's a tricky one to answer. Not because you don't have good potential, because you do! Whether you will choose to pursue the time and effort in honing the skill is upto you. And along with that comes the learning that you'd have to undertake with regards to honing yourself as an artist and promoting yourself to the audiences. Please know that I'm not trying to intimidate you in any way. I do think it's an exciting and enlightening journey to embark on if your curiosity takes you there!

FYI I happen to be a full-time musician and vocal coach. I hope this will help you in some solid way forward.

Also, welcome to our forums. :) Glad to have you here.

Archived