Your Ad Could Be Here

Any Cakewalk users here? I just started using it!

• Editors

Now that I use a Windows laptop, I had to let go off my affinity to Logic Pro X. I decided to download Cakewalk now that it's fully free and provided by BandLab. I must say I'm really enjoying the experience. It did take some time to readapt to a different set of shortcuts, a slightly different workflow and windowing system but I am super impressed with the range of plugins and instruments that it comes with!

I worked on this little tune I've been writin' completely on Cakewalk (except for a synth sound that I used off the free Spitfire Labs collection).

Still ways to go with the choice of arrangement and the drum parts but I've been using this opportunity to simply explore all that this DAW can do.

Any other Cakewalk users here? What do you think of it compared to others DAWs. Are there anybody who decided to migrate out of Cakewalk, if so why? Any tips or suggestions for what I should look out for while using it? Just wanted to get some general thoughts on this here to help me get used to this! Hope all are well.

I haven’t used it much since the move to Bandlab, but I did use all versions since the first version was released many moons ago.

Post switch to Bandlab it seems very good. Initially it didn’t have all the nice VSTs that Sonar provided as standard. I think they now bundle some good VSTs?

I have it installed. I really should update it and have a play.

• 1 month later...

I was a diehard Sonar user for a long time. I use mainly Studio One and Reaper now.  I don't think there's any "best" DAW. It's whatever helps you open your inner doors. Bitwig is really cool. I've only been using it for a year or so, and it's a whole different universe. Reaper is my go to, but I really love Studio One and find myself using it a lot. It's visually beautiful and the setup and workflow is like a console. 

• Editors
15 hours ago, Steve Mueske said:

I was a diehard Sonar user for a long time. I use mainly Studio One and Reaper now.  I don't think there's any "best" DAW. It's whatever helps you open your inner doors. Bitwig is really cool. I've only been using it for a year or so, and it's a whole different universe. Reaper is my go to, but I really love Studio One and find myself using it a lot. It's visually beautiful and the setup and workflow is like a console. 

Haha, how interesting @Steve Mueske! I used to be a long term Studio One user (after being a long term Logic Pro X) until my MacBook gave away. The Windows version of Studio One just doesn't feel as good as it does on Mac. lol Maybe it's just me. (Most probably :D)

I've heard great things about BitWig and its modular approach. Really should get myself to learning how to use it. I had trouble with Ableton that way as well lol. Reaper is the OG DAW. I always go back to Reaper when I need quick work to be done whether it was Mac or Windows. Really getting used to Cakewalk now though. Damn it's a good piece of software!

Archived