Your Ad Could Be Here

New Project: Studio Furniture

Hey Gang

For years I’ve used a standard desk, with a home made 19” rack, in my home studio. I know a good set up can seriously improve your workflow. After all, spending time tweaking my set up has already brought me many benefits but I know it could be better.

I began by looking at what studio furniture was available for improved gear layout and workspace. There are quite a lot on the market, ranging from around $400 to about $4000 in the home studio market, with pro studio furniture going into several thousands of dollars.

The trouble was, I liked the more expensive studio furniture, but had a budget that could just about be pushed to the cheapest. No great surprise there!

So, I’ve started designing my own. I can get wood/MDF cut to size and shape fairly cheaply. I have been learning to use a CAD package to put the design together. I’ve also been sourcing other parts, rack strips and drawer runners.

I’ll post up some photos when I get to that point.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

• Editors
On 5/18/2021 at 2:42 AM, john said:

So, I’ve started designing my own. I can get wood/MDF cut to size and shape fairly cheaply. I have been learning to use a CAD package to put the design together. I’ve also been sourcing other parts, rack strips and drawer runners.

Damn John. DIY can help bring down costs so much. I hope everything comes out as expected. Looking forward to the pictures bud. (& some demo recordings with the new set up too! ;) )

• Like 1

On 5/19/2021 at 3:19 PM, Mahesh said:

Damn John. DIY can help bring down costs so much. I hope everything comes out as expected. Looking forward to the pictures bud. (& some demo recordings with the new set up too! ;) )

I’m actually surprise at how much cheaper it seems to be. I think it will cost roughly $250 -$300 for good quality materials. That is 19mm dual-side laminated plywood, cut, sanded, edged and delivered by the suppliers using a CNC router (ie computer controlled cutter). I am awaiting a complete quote. Additional materials include screws of 2 different lengths and rack mount strips for equipment, rack screws and bolts, 2 cable racks, and a pair of heavy duty drawer runners, costing approximately $70.

In total, this will give me 6u of equipment on each side of the desk top, with a further 8u possible between the legs on either side. 

I also have an 8u mobile floor rack made from MDF.

Just on the desk that is 28u of space. ATM I have 18u of gear. I plan to buy 2 modular/semi-modular synths in the next 12 months, that’s almost all u accounted for on the desk with the mobile rack to allow for further expansion.

The desk itself has a keyboard shelf capable of taking an 88 note keyboard, with shelves above angled racks for monitors and a central space for a computer monitor and my faderport 16. I will also have space at the side for my Boss RC-505 loopstation. I need to rearrange my room as my streaming PC and 16 channel Spirit mixer will be off to the side on another desk and my Nord Grand is set up on the other side.

One huge benefit is that the backs of the gear will be much more accessible. You’ve no idea what a pain that was with my rack gear previously located in a 12u rack on the desk with no easy access to the back.

The biggest benefit will be my workflow when recording or mixing. I needed something better for streaming too.

I think this would have cost in the order of $1000 to buy.

Juicy! :)

• Like 1

• Editors
On 5/25/2021 at 4:34 PM, john said:

I think this would have cost in the order of $1000 to buy.

Woah. That would have hurt. lol

Good going John! I'm looking forward to how the end result comes out and how it looks and operates when all set up. Share some pictures, will ya!

• 7 months later...